Device model, not device name, displayed by Spotify Connect

The device names displayed in Spotify Connect's list of available playback devices becomes a problem in some cases.

For some devices, Spotify Connect displays the the name assigned to the device by the owner. For others, Spotify Connect instead displays the device's model number. For instance, my Spotify Connect enabled Pioneer receiver is displayed as "Livingroom" (name assigned by me) whereas my Samsung Galaxy S4 is displayed as "GT-19505" although it actually has a user-assigned name too. In all networking contexts that I know of, except Spotify Connect, the user-assigned name is displayed. Why not in Spotify Connect too?

Besdes being confusing in general, this issue actually becomes a real problem when your Spotify Connect network contains several playback devices of the same model, e.g. if you make a set of outdated smartphones of the same model become stationary playback devices in your home.

I don't know if this is a common issue with all mobil devices, just an Androd issue or simply a Samsung Galaxy issue. Please add kudos and/or comments if you experience the same isse or have more knowledge to share.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

NadaFunkar
Indeed! I could see a lot of situations when this is not so good. Not all know what Dev name a manufacturer has named their model.
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!