[Discover] Find users with similar taste

A way to discover other users who have many of the same liked songs and songs saved to playlists that you do. I'm Desperate to find new music, spotify needs ways to help with this. Currently the radio doesn't make good recomendations. 

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-10-09

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

hasan-ozbey
Music Fan

off-topic suggestion is last.fm

kwallerius
Casual Listener

I had the same idea except maybe a different app? So it would scan your music and artists and match your with people with similar percentages to who you listen to. And it could help make new friends locally or globally and you would be able to go to concerts together and get together and jam! What would be better than an app that helps you makes friends based on your music taste?!

lenjaminbang

I'd absolutely love that! last.fm doesn't really cut it for me because it matches people with maybe 50% of the same music taste. I want to see people with a 95%+ match tho, that'd be awesome.

TreyAnastasio
Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

I think this is a great idea! I agree that the ability to find other Spotify users who listen to many of the same artists, songs, or genres of music would likely facilitate music discovery among listeners (as an alternative to the recommendations that Spotify already provides its users). I’ve discovered many artists that I enjoy listening to by browsing the libraries of a few other last.fm users with similar musical taste (whom I found via the “Neighbors” tab); and I think that it would be great if Spotify could have a similar feature.

chillywings

Yes, please. I've been screaming about this for years. I saw a talk from a Spotify employee a couple years ago discussing the recommendation algorithm, and my understanding is it basically works by comparing similar users... so Spotify is already doing this, they simply need to present the data to the users in the form of friend recommendations.

Other ideas would be to have personalized playlist similar to discover weekly, but that gives you a sample of what your friends are listening to (eg most popular/trending songs among friends for the week.. or perhaps monthly would work better in this case). Also, a tangential note is it would be really nice if Spotify would alert users when artists they listen to are coming to town, or when there's a festival that's a good match with the users artists/genre tastes. Obviously, this could be monetized by charging promoters.. basically the same business model as FB ads.

Seriously Spotify, why are you so behind on the social aspect?

jkl81
Visitor

As a programmer, I know that a musical soulmate database query that would compare users' tastes on song level (and not just artist level) would be quite expensive in terms of resources. That's why I'd even be willing to pay some extra $$$ for this feature. If Spotify wishes so, I'll love to rack my brain to find a feasible algorithm for a precise soulmate search 🙂

Jacob
Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Related Ideas