Announcements

[Discover] Ignore Mode

Spotify has a "private session" mode but it would be great if it also had something like an "ignore tracks" mode, whereby for a certain period of time all the music you listen to isn't tracked by Discover Weekly.

This prevents the situation where you listen to a load of new music that you never normally listen to, but DW ends up incorporating that music into its weekly update and producing a playlist that's non-representative of your normal taste in music. This is particularly important if the new music you've been listening to ends up being not to your taste and not something you'd want included in DW.

This setting would also be handy for when other people use your computer and load up Spotify and play a load of their music, because you wouldn't want their music choices distorting your DW.

Updated: 2016-05-19

Hi @nickbmuzik and thanks for your clarification. Private Session fills what you're requesting: not only does it prevent it private listening sessions from appearing in your public profile and on Facebook, it also blocks these songs from influencing your Taste Profile (aka, Discover Weekly content). Thanks! 🙂

Comments
blake
Status changed to: Need more information

Hi and thanks for your contribution! Can you clarify your suggestion a bit? As Private Session listening is excluded from your taste profile (and so won't affect your Discover Weekly), in what ways would 'Ignore Mode' be different from Private Session?

nickbmuzik
Hi, I thought private session just stopped the music you're listening to being posted to Facebook. So does private session also stop Spotify from tracking your taste for Discover Weekly?

For instance, if I decided to spend the day listening to classical music, if I didn't want classical music tracks to start appearing in my Discover Weekly, would turning on private session effectively make all the classical tracks I'm listening to 'invisible' to DW?

I'm just looking for a way of being able to explore new music on Spotify without it distorting DW.
blake
Status changed to: Case Closed

Hi @nickbmuzik and thanks for your clarification. Private Session fills what you're requesting: not only does it prevent it private listening sessions from appearing in your public profile and on Facebook, it also blocks these songs from influencing your Taste Profile (aka, Discover Weekly content). Thanks! 🙂

Env: prod