Discover Mode for Radio

I'd like to be able to toggle on/off a 'Music Discovery' setting whilst listening to a Spotify Radio Station.

Sometimes I'm happy to hear artists repeated in a Spotify radio station, but sometimes I just want to hear something new.

Instead of changing the radio station algorithm to never repeat artists, like some forum members have suggested, how about letting the user opti-in to Discovery Mode.

It could be implemented into the GUI with a subtle toggle that appears next to the current radio station title. 

original.png

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
Namibo
Good idea. Often times I find myself not wanting to "like" a song from radio because improving the station usually means that that artist just becomes overplayed or if I dislike them, it never plays again. I really think the like/dislike system is fundamentally flawed currently
dudeimgod
Regular

MY GOD IT IS SO FRUSTRATING HOW REPETITIVE THE RADIO APP IS!!!!!!!!!!! I literally had the same song come on 3 times out of 6 songs. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard80
Casual Listener

Same thing here, I switch to Radio to discover new songs, but you pretty fast done with that as the same songs keep repeating (even getting more familiar than the original playlist the Radio was based on....). Please add Discovery option, great idea!

Ndthien
Casual Listener

Why is this still not being developed? If it is, please let us know.

This idea was posted in 2012..

jaz720848
Casual Listener

Hello,

I also really like this idea and would like to see some major improvements to the spotify radio. The repetition is a major annoyance, not just the same song being repeated over and over again but also the same artists being played all the time. I posted my own suggestion that was very similar to this idea; mine ended being marked as a duplicate suggestion.

Any improvement to the current system would be great.

I have quoted my idea below:

I like to use the radio feature a lot to find music that I already like along with new music. The feature I would like to see is the ability to toggle between:

1. Playing only tracks that have never been liked/disliked already (i.e. new tracks only)
  2. Playing both new tracks and tracks that have already been liked
  3. Playing only the tracks that have been liked

If I was going to implement this feature I would make the use of a simple toggle style switch to between the three possible play modes.

I believe this would allow those users who like to discover new music a much better and efficient system using the existing radio system. Also for those users who have already liked a significant amount of songs and wish to simply just play those ones that relate to that station, this would accommodate that.

I really like this idea as everyone has a different preference of the frequency of new songs to already liked songs. Me personally, I find that currently the radio system plays more of my liked song to new songs; I would like to see more new songs over liked ones.

mbug90
Roadie

We need to rise above this...  NOW!!

melweezer
Casual Listener

Yep still getting the exact same artists and songs on repeat. If I hear d.d dumbo, methyl ethyl, cub sport, meg mac or boo seeka one more time I think my head will explode. 

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!