Announcements

Enhanced Album depiction

Unfortunately, so far, those of us who have asked to see Larger album art haven't gained much traction with the idea.

In that topic I added that I felt little was being made of the full array of artistic resources provided when Spotify are granted permission to publish recordings. Many listeners value the visual aspects of their favourite recordings as well as the music but I fear that we're losing sight of a great part of what artists are providing. If this trend continues, digital music can be held responsible for killing off a wonderful tradition.

To support my case I searched these forums for Gatefold but there wasn't a single hit. To add insult to injury the auto-search suggestion switched it to "Hateful". How ironic!

led-zeppelin-presence-3.jpg

Updated: 2015-10-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Carina

Hi Radian,

I don't really get what your idea is about. Could you explain it a little more? Do you just want more (and bigger) pictures of the covers? I mean not every record has a gatefold cover and if you are really interested in how it looks, why not buying it or looking at Discogs for the pictures? Also, the pictures must be quadratic and I don't know how they could implement rectangular covers..

But I'm totally in for bigger covers. Sad that they closed the other idea you mentioned 😞

blake

Hi,

Following up on acidesoleil, I think I understand that you're requesting more artwork display options, but it'd be helpful if you specified exactly the type of display options you'd like to see. I can then mark it as 'New Idea'.

And also, just to clarify, the 'Not Right Now' status on the Larger Album Art idea doesn't mean that it's not going to be implemented, it's just not under development at this point.

Radian

Thanks for your comments here. I think this may be a generational thing. Through ownership some of us are well familiar with all aspects of  vinyl LP's like the classics above. These examples are just the tip of the iceberg that is a huge wealth of "art" accompanying many an artist's audio recordings. Of course it's right to say people can always look on Discogs or buy physical copy but Spotify provides a great way to discover albums that people may not already be aware of. I think that by fully curating all the visual as well as the audio content available, Spotify could serve up a far more compelling experience. Put another way, ask yourself what Spotify is not showing you when you select an album.

BTW I seem to recall when Spotify made a big thing about getting the rights to stream pretty much everything from Pink Floyd, there was an enhanced background to many of the album pages. Was I dreaming this? I remember welcoming it as a step in the right direction.

Marco

Since this idea is still quite vague I'll mark it as Unspecified for now but of course leave it open for discussion and gaining kudos. However, I've got the feeling that everything would be solved if the idea about Digital Booklets is implemented - is that about right? 😉

Radian

Marco, I really want to get this idea over to other people so you could be a great help - if what I'm proposing is still quite vague - by explaining why. As I said above, I would simply like to see Spotify "curate all the visual as well as the audio conten" of every recording it publishes. Currently there is just one square image of the front cover - be it  Vinyl sleeve or CD insert. This is rarely the full extent of the orignal - I want to be able to see it all.

Thanks for the heads up about the booklet idea. I've joined that thread adding that Enhanced Album depiction would encompass all aspects of additional written material including booklets.

Marco

Hey Radian!

I think this is really a generation thing as you've mentioned. I guess we're just not familiar with all those art concepts coming with a record. Most people here on the forum probably only know the booklet that is coming with a CD, and some might not even know that (blame download stores, or Spotify...;D).

So your idea is that Spotify provides any visual art that is coming with a record, in whatever way it has been published.

I'll mark it as "new idea" then since this idea goes even beyond the "digital booklet" idea I've linked to. 😉

Marco
Status changed to: New Idea

Marco
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2015-10-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Env: prod