Explicit Only/Edited Only Option

I have seen two other similar Ideas, one flagged as duplicate. Hopefully mine does not fall under that category as it supports the opposite idea/control at the same time. 

I would appreciate it Spotify would allow users to turn off edited content OR turn off explicit. I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and by Murphy's Law, seem to always pick the edited album. While other people have children and do not want to hear the F word around them. I believe we both can agree that it is very frustrating to play the version we don't want.

I think both Explicit On and Explicit Off could be solved simply.

Settings > Explicit Content

(bullet option) Turn Off Explicit Content

(bullet option) Turn Off Edited Content

Both bullets cannot be highlighted at same time and of course in the background it would have to work like:

When Explicit Content is turned off, it would never be played

When Edited is turned off, Explicit would be played unless Edited is the only option. 

Again, sorry if the moderators view this Idea as a duplicate, but I believe this would solve the problem for both parties.

Updated on 2017-11-07

Hi folks, thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. Today we're marking this as a duplicate of the Explicit Button, but please allow us to explain. 

While we understand the requests are different (one wants a button to turn explicit off/on and the other wants the option to have explicit only), the metadata work we'd need to do to build either of these is exactly the same. 

We, therefore, think it's misleading to have two ideas like this in the top 20 Community ideas. The Explicit Button idea is still the #2 Community idea so our teams absolutely understand how important this request is. 

Please keep an eye on the Explicit Button thread (which we think is a good idea) for any updates on these requests. Thank you for continuing to bring your feedback to us via the Community Idea Exchange.

Comments
salakhan

But... why NOT do it??!

Gg12341

I agree. Today is my first day with Spotify (usually use pandora). I already like they layout and usability better, but don't know if I can continue to use Spotify regularly without an option to turn off explicit content as I have kids listening and I also listen at work. Since pandora has this ability I will have to continue using it until Spotify can catch up.

spotifyarejerks

Your company is completely irresponsible for continuing to grant access to explict material with no accountability.  I hope there is a crack down on companies like you to care nothing for the innocence of children.

salakhan
LOL
nasamany

Any update on this? Surely it can't be that complicated for Spotify to integrate these options.

Geekonwheelz

I agree you should be able to turn off explicit content for places like when in a work environment I click today's top hits it could play the radio edits.

salakhan

4 years.  

31 pages.

Vohit4Rohit

Please add an Explicit button. When the wrong version plays it puts a horrible taste in anyone’s mouth, whether they wanted the clean version or not. Nothing worse than censored rap, especially when it’s often the default version played first on Spotify. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2017-11-07

Hi folks, thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. Today we're marking this as a duplicate of the Explicit Button, but please allow us to explain. 

While we understand the requests are different (one wants a button to turn explicit off/on and the other wants the option to have explicit only), the metadata work we'd need to do to build either of these is exactly the same. 

We, therefore, think it's misleading to have two ideas like this in the top 20 Community ideas. The Explicit Button idea is still the #2 Community idea so our teams absolutely understand how important this request is. 

Please keep an eye on the Explicit Button thread (which we think is a good idea) for any updates on these requests. Thank you for continuing to bring your feedback to us via the Community Idea Exchange.