Fixing Radio: Fine tuning songs (Hits, Variety or Discovery Mode)

Our radio has always been weird, you never know what songs it plays, and it always REPEATS THE SAME GOD darn SONG over the past hour.

It's time to fix it. 

If you've tried, or at least clicked into an app of a competing service, this is how it looks like:

image (1).jpg

You can kinda tune the station to WHAT YOU LIKE, for eg, Hits, Variety, or Discovery and the radio will adapt what you want to hear.

Here's another example (A not very solid example though):

image.jpg

As you may know, Echo Nest is now a Spotify company, anyway, this shows the radio where you can slide to whether artist only or discovery in general (This might not be a good example, as if I just wanted to listen to the artist, I would've just went into the artist page and click on Shuffle Play.)

Here's another example:

beats_music_screenshots.jpg

This is a relatively new music service, but if you've tried its radio, you wil find out that its really really spectacular. You can tell the service what is your mood and it plays songs based on that, but if that's not enough. It actually has brand new algorithms that is built just for this, I read somewhere that it even monitors your location, the songs you play in that location/event, the volume the song is playing and when you hit the radio mode, it will analyze all of this algorithms and play based on that.

So the radio needs improvements in its really bad algorithms and a fine tuning option.

PS: If you go the comments section of this idea, in page 2, @Macatron bought up a really good visual of a competing music service vs Spotify when using the radio, if you've time you should take a look and if possible share more of the problems that you face with Spotify Radio.

Updated on 2018-06-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Coolin82
Music Fan

I totally agree with David. Since this request is marked as "not right now" this is also the status of me getting a premium subscription with Spotify.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2017-10-27

Hey everyone, this hasn't had an update in a while so we're back to refresh the status. While this is still 'Not Right Now', we're currently thinking about how users can use some new feedback mechanisms to make radio feel more personalized. Please also let us know if you're seeing the same song over and over, or having any issues with Radio. If so, please let us know in this Help Board. Thanks for your feedback everyone! 

rlowe
Regular

I agree.  The proof:

1) Launch your "Liked from Radio" playlist, then choose "Go to Radio" and instead of hearing a variety of artists and songs from past to present based on all your personal diverse "Likes", you will instead hear ONLY 'current' artists you have "Liked".   NOT what you would want, and a total deal breaker for Spotify.

2) Also, go ahead and TRY the "work-around" mentioned he, copy all of the songs from "Your Music" to a new playlist named "My Music" (or whatever) and then follow the sames steps as #1 above and you will have the same results.  You will only hear a small subset of current artists.

SPOTIFY PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.  This is blantantly obvious, whether it is intentional or not there is no way to know, but it is bad and your competitors don't have this issue.

RussL

As others chimed in, radio is disappointing.  Station starts out nicely and within a week, you are tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over.  If I had to pay (we have the family premium plan and one member pays already) I wouldn't......  One thing Pandora has over this is the ability to add variety to a station, by artist or song.  Not so with Spotify.  Once your 12 songs keep repeating, good luck fixing it.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2018-06-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!