Announcements

[FreeBSD] Version for FreeBSD

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/BSD-Version-needed/idi-p/241338

Removing the requirement for flash is a good start on the web player. Either connecting via my browser or using an application (I don't foresee this being difficult to compile for FreeBSD).  It's rather unfortunate to be paying for a service and not have it accessible on an open source product. :(.

Updated on 2020-06-08

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.  

As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received, so please continue to add your votes and comments here if you still wish to support this idea.

However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify. If there's new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Comments
duncan_bayne

I've looked into the reason for this, and it's simple: Spotify relies upon the Widevine DRM library, and that library isn't available on FreeBSD.  The word from the Widevine folks is:

FreeBSD is not a supported platform, we have no plans or demands from
content provider partners.  Please consider reaching out to your streaming
provider to request client support which will eventually get to us.

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2020-06-08

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.  

As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received, so please continue to add your votes and comments here if you still wish to support this idea.

However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify. If there's new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Food-of-India

Can we have a FreeBSD Spotify version? My laptop computer's OS is FreeBSD.

Env: prod