Announcements

[Friend Feed] Desktop Friend activity

I mean whats the point of setting it back to off on default when there is already an option there for them to turn it to private by themselves. As of now i see that there is no point of having the friend activity tab cause none of my friends knew about this and you want us to 1 by 1 to inform them to turn it back on?

Updated on 2021-12-08

Hey! Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea because this change was made in order to give users more freedom to choose if they want to share their listening activity through the Friends Activity feed or don't. It's important to emphasize that the Friends Activity feature isn't being deprecated.
You can find more information about this recent change and the step-by-step to opt-in the sharing of your activity with your followers here.

• How to choose between opt-in or opt-out?
  1. On Spotify for desktop, tap your name on the top of the app;
  2. Go to Settings
  3. On the Social tab, opt-in or opt-out on the option Share my listening activity on Spotify

If you have more questions about it, feel free to reach out to us here.

Keep Rocking!

Comments
pastalord

I agree, it’s completely ridiculous. This is not a “privacy concern”, users had the option of listening privately for years. All they had to do was send a system wide notification to all users letting them know that they could turn off their sharing if they wanted to. I used the friend feature every day and now it’s gone. I follow people I don’t know in real life and can’t contact them to turn on their sharing. Please revert this change 

ronjarost12

Agreed, how can this be a privacy concern. Nobody is getting hurt because other people can see your listening activity and if you dont want them to see THEN you go in and turn it off. This setting was a happy place where i could see old friends activity but now i cant anymore and its not like i can contact them after five years just to ask them to turn it on.

Douxie

I hope Spotify has the decency to reverse the most recent update, because it is devastating to log on to Spotify and see what was once a fun square of activity be reduced to, "See what your friends are playing. Find friends." I know they had good intentions, but if someone wanted to listen to music in private, they had the option to go into their settings and turn on private listening. Why search for friends and follow them now if you won't be able to see their updates anyway? Most people aren't aware this has happened and won't be informed because they're listening on a mobile device and haven't noticed their feed is gone. And those that are aware can't reach out to every person they've followed throughout the years to say, "Do you mind turning that feature back on?" Please reverse this, because it brings people such joy to see who their friends are listening to and to get amazing music recommendations. 

Strwby04

You must change it back Spotify this makes zero sense and no one likes it!!!

Luan
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-12-08

Hey! Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea because this change was made in order to give users more freedom to choose if they want to share their listening activity through the Friends Activity feed or don't. It's important to emphasize that the Friends Activity feature isn't being deprecated.
You can find more information about this recent change and the step-by-step to opt-in the sharing of your activity with your followers here.

• How to choose between opt-in or opt-out?
  1. On Spotify for desktop, tap your name on the top of the app;
  2. Go to Settings
  3. On the Social tab, opt-in or opt-out on the option Share my listening activity on Spotify

If you have more questions about it, feel free to reach out to us here.

Keep Rocking!

Env: prod