Ideas for improving Spotify on Windows 10 (june 2017)

Spotify for windows 10 via centennial bridge has only just been released. Thank you for your efforts!. (app version 1.0.56.505g024fbe68 (windows store version))

Things I've noticed that could use some improvement.

1. Rendering of the app is slow. 

-onclick access of buttons, label art album pages, prompts and menu's are relatively, but noticeably slow to respond or close, compared to the native desktop or uwp apps.

- scolling menu's is noticeably slower and seems to lag half to one second slower that the input.

-response to scrolling on windows 10 on a touchscreen device such as a surface device is showing noticeable slow scrolling response to touch of 1 second or more.

2. app is very desktopcentric. It is more difficult to use as a user interface on a windows touchscreen device due to the smaller fonts, buttons and overall more crowded layout, which leads to prone accidental unwanted button presses and a poor user experience.

3. Snapping the app is a compromised experience. Only in desktop mode is the app snappable and then apparently limited to a fixed 80/20% ratio. Snapping in tablet mode is not enabled. Would be better if this was optimized to fit basic windows functionalities.

4. App by default opens automatically in the background at launch of windows. This is an annoying feature and interfereing with opening of other apps. I wish this feature was off by default

5. Would be nice if the app had more live tile functionality. Such as:

-showing album art on the live tiles

-supporting chaseable tiles for improved discoverability of songs in the app

-Be able to pin favorite songs, albums or stations as live tiles (in all available tile sizes) for easier searchability and accesibility in the app.

- Support for light and dark mode and windows accent color for the app.

- support transparency of the app live tile.

-support notifications, for example when a download is complete or when a new and upcoming favorited album or song is available on te platform.

6. improved personalization options of the app. Currently is it limited to being able to turn on/off hardwareacceleration and the right sidebar only. But the left sidebar menu also takes up screen real estate and I don't always use it. I would like to collapse it too in favor of more space and an unobstructed view of more space to the artist, album or station listings. The dashboard UI is alrady quite feature filled and could use some "breathing room".

7. support for UWP. Maybe somewhere in the future, but native support would be a nice experience on windows 10.

Thank you.

Updated on 2017-07-12

Hello there!
Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately we can only handle 1 feature request per topic, otherwise it's impossible to manage the received kudos / give the idea a proper status.
If you want to start a general feedback topic, that's great! But please use the respective help forum then. 😉
When you're re-posting those ideas in separate topics, please make sure to use the search function, since a lot of ideas might already be out there in the ideas forum. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Comments

Totally Agree,

Firstly Kudos to Spotify for taking the leap to UWP via Desktop Bridge (Centennial).  Whilst there are a few gremlins we would like to see addressed, this is a great first experience. Now is the time to  refine and expand.

Refine

• It seems some of the Preferences do not save when changed and return to default - ie Open Minimised. Whenever I restart my Surface, spotify takes over and goes full screen automatically.
  • Running in background on Surface Devices. This is an ongoing issue with both the desktop and UWP App. Whenever my surface goes to a semi conscious state due to inactivity, the music stops playing. Very annoying. Microsoft dont have this problem with the "Groove" app so it can be addressed.
  • I also noticed afterwaking Spotify occasionally becomes none responsive as per Wevenheus above and only a full restart addresses this.
  • The app seems a lathargic compared to the Win32 application. No doubt this is a result of containerising the Desktop app via Desktop Bridge (Centennial). I am sure this can be fine tuned with Microsofts help in looking after the Centenial Platform - Its in their best interests to have a slick Spotify experience too, lest people give up on Centennial.

Expand

Now that Spotify is UWP I would like to see the following enhancements as a start.

• Make use of Live Tiles. Album Art, Artist Art news etc
  • Better Snap and Scaling options as alluded to above
  • More Touch friendly. This version is still very keyboard centric. better controls and list spacing for big fingers would be nice.
  • Cortana Integration with the ability to control playback, search etc. Further, It would be good if Cortana could control spotify on another device linked to that Microsoft ID. ie Control Spotify on your desktop from Windows Phone, iOS, Android etc without the need to have spotify on the other device. Think spotify connect in reverse.  That would require some decent partnership with Microsoft but will pay dividends for all.
  • Explicit Content Filter. No one wants to censor artists however there is always a time and a place and some content is just NSFW or suitable for children. I know Spotify has pushed back on this however, isnt a playlist in its own right a version of censorship (by omitting tracks that dont fit the profile) where the user chooses the "type" of music they want to hear. Filtering Explicit is just another playlist in reality. The simple option of skipping Explicit tracks or playing a non-explicit version as a playback control would be lauded by all around the world. This is not UWP specific.
  • Lock Screen Album art and background art. Imagine a windows Desktop and/or Lock Screen that shows images associated with a playing track and updates automatically. That would be cool as an option.
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2017-07-12

Hello there!
Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately we can only handle 1 feature request per topic, otherwise it's impossible to manage the received kudos / give the idea a proper status.
If you want to start a general feedback topic, that's great! But please use the respective help forum then. 😉
When you're re-posting those ideas in separate topics, please make sure to use the search function, since a lot of ideas might already be out there in the ideas forum. Thanks again!