Independent Spotify

I think Spotify has attained a customer volume that would allow them to continue to work towards the option of total independence from other social media. Users coule either continue to keep their spotify hooked up with their facebook accounts for ease of access and consolidation, or they could opt to have their accounts seperated.

A facebookless account ought to:

1. Continue to have an independent messaging system (maybe an optional IM system as well, but which could be cleared from the screen to keep things as simple as possible)

2. Be based primarily on the account user's email. Facebook could be linked, but when somebody deactivates their facebook account, Spotify would continue to run off that person's email address without anything changing. (I'm going to probably have to get off of spotify for a while because I am going to be off facebook for a month- but if they ran independently of each other I would still be able to use Spotify)

3. Friend lists/Following/Followers work independently of facebook. When users link their accounts, looking up individuals through facebook (just typing in their names) would be easy. When not connected to facebook, users could look them up with their Spotify user name. Privacy settings set up by the individual could prevent unlimited access to their account, or require a confirmation of a follower request, etc.

In summary: an independent spotify would act much like it's own social media platform. It wouldn't require users to maintain their facebook accounts or aquire one in order to use Spotify Social, but if some find it easier or preferable they still have the option of using facebook as their method of using Spotify. This would free Spotify from the handicap of requiring users to subscribe to a third party in order to user the Spotify system, but still allow them to do so when it is convenient.

I guess we can close this idea since it was all cleared up in the comments. As mentioned, f you want an easier way to switch from facebook created accounts to Spotify ones, check out Peter's idea here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-a-way-to-transfer-from-a-Spotify-account-cre...
Comments
Peter__
Community Legend

You are aware you don't have to have Facebook to use Spotify anymore and all of the above things are possible without Facebook in Spotify?

Peter

jyaveragejoe
Casual Listener

As far as I am aware, it appears that once one's facebook account is linked to the spotify account, you have to email spotify and ask them to delete that and start over.

Also, in the Solutions section, it says you must have your fb account in order to listen to spotify if it was originally linked: https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/Facebook-deactivated

Mine was originally attached to my email, but linked later to my facebook. Now I can't sign into spotify because my facebook is deactivated.

Peter__
Community Legend

If your account was created via Facebook, then you are correct there is no way to disconnect that account from Facebook. In fact I myself asked Spotify for a way to change Facebook created accounts to Spotify ones but it turns out it isn't possible due to the restriction on not being able to change usernames due to how playlists are mapped to accounts. 

If you created your account without Facebook (using your email address), then you just need to log in using your Spotify username (not your email address) and that will give you an independent account, which you can connect and disconnect form Facebook in the way you mention from Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Social Network in the desktop client. 

Peter

jyaveragejoe
Casual Listener

Peter,

Bless you in the face. I didn't realize the difference between signing in with my email and my username. It's unfortunate that they can't change fb accounts to spotify ones, though, that would have been excellent.

Thank you so much for your help!

Joe

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Case Closed

I guess we can close this idea since it was all cleared up in the comments. As mentioned, f you want an easier way to switch from facebook created accounts to Spotify ones, check out Peter's idea here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-a-way-to-transfer-from-a-Spotify-account-cre...