Keep the old app API in the desktop software for existing apps

Spotify has announced on its developer blog lately that they will abandon the old app framework in the desktop software completely. This means that popular and well-known apps like musiXmatch, TuneWiki or Last.fm for Spotify will no longer be available in the App Finder. Here is an excerpt from the announcement:

"Spotify Apps (Discontinued)

This feature is no longer available.

Please note: Future releases of the Spotify Desktop client will no longer feature an App Finder tab and will no longer support the presentation of Spotify Apps, therefore this feature has been discontinued.

As Spotify evolves and priorities change, we sometimes have to remove APIs from active development and shift focus to the relevant platforms. With the new APIs and SDKs now available we are phasing out Spotify Apps support from the desktop client. In the upcoming version you will no longer be able to run third-party applications within the desktop client. This means the App Finder and apps inside the desktop client will no longer be available and we are terminating our Application Distribution Agreement.

The update will gradually roll out from today, starting with a smaller percentage of new and existing users, with the majority of our existing users receiving the update early in 2015."

No longer supporting these apps means that e.g. personalised recommendations for new music are even harder to find in Spotify, as they are also testing what to do with the Discover tab which might get replaced with a general Top Hits Highlights section or even be abandoned completely.

Hello everyone. Spotify here. 

We’re happy to highlight that several of our partners have already launched new integrations with Spotify. Some of these are located within the Spotify desktop app like MusixMatch. Others are hosted as web apps on partner sites like BBC playlister, Soundhound and Swarm.fm. You can find many others on our developer showcase

We believe this will allow us to create a great Spotify experience across many platforms. Instead of trying to build all of these features into Spotify, we’re building ways to make a Spotify account more useful in different experiences. For example, we released an integration with Runkeeper. You’re also now able to use the Pacemaker DJ app on iOS and the Djay DJ app across Mac, iOS and Android. Further the Shazaam integration is better than ever. 

We’ll be offering more experiences like this in the future and we’re excited to see what we can build with our partners.

Related Ideas

Comments
hans-jürgen
Roadie

Right, I also remembered that older announcement from late March 2014 where they still mentioned "a foreseeable future" for existing apps. So I was surprised that they seem to have changed their mind so quickly, as they are already rolling out new desktop versions partially without the App Finder. I will not confirm the update button when it shows up the next time, but of course that is not a good solution, and many users who use external apps will not know that they will lose them with the next update. This will also cause many related questions in the Last.fm for Spotify support group, I'm afraid.

Carina
Community Legend

Just saying something about the Last.FM app: I actually don't use it as I get all information on the website itself. I doubt they'll remove the scrobbling feature, so I'm fine with it. But other apps are quite useful to me and I won't update as well if they're going to delete the apps section entirely.

Erkan_Yılmaz
Community Legend

last.fm support is vital to spotify

I use the scrobbling, as well as the recommendations (I've >238k plays at last.fm and thus their recommendations are always better than spotify's. I'm using spotify now for 2 months, last.fm for 44 months)

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Case Closed

2015-03-11

Hey everyone! We're marking this as "Case Closed" as we've expanded on the future of Apps in Spotify right here. Thanks for your continued feedback though and please keep coming to the Ideas Board with your comments.