Less space between lines

Hello Community,

I am using Spotify for years now and i find the desktop client for windows has been going in the wrong direction.

With the latest update it has really become kind of annoying. My problem is that on my 21' Diplay with a resolution of 1680 by 1050 i am forced to constantly scroll through the menu on the left and also, with the enormous spaces between the lines, on the main view of titles in my playlists.

So i suggest that you let the user choose if he wants the new look for let's say his touchscreen enabled device (where it would make very much sense) and a much more narrow lined desktop version.

An while i m at it: it would be very nice if i could change the colors of the text an the background to my liking.

Updated on 2017-08-24

Hey folks, we're going to mark this as Case Closed today. This idea has had the "Not Right Now" status for over 3 years now. We don't have any plans to change the space between lines in the Desktop app. Of course should this change we will post here to let you all know the feature is coming. We're trying to be very transparent about what we likely, and likely won't, build in the Idea Exchange. Thank you!

Related Ideas

Comments
eimell_

I have to agree. The new layout makes browsing harder. I have trouble getting a good overview on a 1080p screen and i pity those with smaller screens. Please use the screen-estate better!

I realize that you guys developed this UI on high-DPI screens (i.e. retina) and it might look good there. But there must be some way for us with "normal"  <150 DPI screens to still use the software comfortable.

publicfig
Regular

I would love a "Compact View". On big monitors I really like the line spacing but on smaller ones it just gets difficult. 

nahka
Casual Listener

Spacing is too big! I think it was 0.8.5 where you increased it and before that it was just fine. Now you've increased the spacing more, so looks like this is a on-going trend on Spotify.

akeldama

Horrible interface. Spotify needs a PC specific client and not a tablet/pc friendly client. I got somewhat excited that they added half-screen ability but none of the client windows are customizable enough to where everything is easy to get to. I agree its a step in the wrong direction and they can learn a thing or two from winamp when it comes to PC friendly clients.

Croatoan
This new interface looks good, the dark-green combination works for sure, but ffs fix the spacing or give us an option in preferences to change it. Now the spacing is so large that it's honestly difficult to read/browse. Actually whole different themes would be reeeeally good idea. Or how about you make the ui customizable(on desktop version at least), so the users *will* do the work for you, I swear they will.
rog1039

Soooo much wasted space in between lines.  In the same amount of space iTunes fits 26 songs in their grid vs. Spotify's 14 songs!  This makes browsing or doing anything in playlists, albums, etc. very difficult.

Plus iTunes font is not gigantic which helps.  Additionally, please either make the font smaller or let the user set the font size or zoom level on the grid.

ixl85
Regular

Hear hear.

Don't understand this choice! Too much black space. Why have an HD resoltion when we you see the same as back in the day with a 1024 resolution :)

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea. This idea will focus solely on an option to decrease the spacing - you might also want to add your kudos to a similar idea about changing the size of all elements here. ;)

jag_ceter
Music Fan

can't fit a 16 track album on my pretty large screen without scrolling. that's pretty crazy.

i don't know which idea is better to post this is so i'll put the comment in both.

Grahamps
Casual Listener

I agree. It's not fun to see an album at a time (or less) when browsing, after years of seeing one album flow into the next. It affects the sense of size and scope of the collection, when I feel like I am only viewing a single album song list, despite wanting to look at the artists catalog. When I only wanted to see a single album, I was content clicking on that album title to isolate. Now, I feel isolated from the awesome vastness of Spotify's collection, when that's what I desire least.

They need to tighten this UI up, pronto. Also, what's up with the Popular songs? Viewing only five seems like you're being shortchanged. Clicking View More and having it push the first album entry off the page is crazy. Where was the candid feedback during this redesign? I'd bet that many employees inside Spotify are bummed out about this new UI; surely it could have moved in this direction without so much difficulty. 

It's Spotify's iOS 7... Please, bring us the .1 update!