Less space between lines

Hello Community,

I am using Spotify for years now and i find the desktop client for windows has been going in the wrong direction.

With the latest update it has really become kind of annoying. My problem is that on my 21' Diplay with a resolution of 1680 by 1050 i am forced to constantly scroll through the menu on the left and also, with the enormous spaces between the lines, on the main view of titles in my playlists.

So i suggest that you let the user choose if he wants the new look for let's say his touchscreen enabled device (where it would make very much sense) and a much more narrow lined desktop version.

An while i m at it: it would be very nice if i could change the colors of the text an the background to my liking.

Updated on 2017-08-24

Hey folks, we're going to mark this as Case Closed today. This idea has had the "Not Right Now" status for over 3 years now. We don't have any plans to change the space between lines in the Desktop app. Of course should this change we will post here to let you all know the feature is coming. We're trying to be very transparent about what we likely, and likely won't, build in the Idea Exchange. Thank you!

Related Ideas

Comments
carrerr
Music Fan

Premium subscriber of 4 years here. This latest redesign is flat out horrible and for the first time is prompting me to look for alternatives to Spotify.

On the 0.9.7 version I was able to see 44 songs in a playlist at once (and back in the day this number was even higher). Now, with the window maximized on my 24" screen I can only see 25 items at a time! This is patently ridiculous.

I want to believe that the designers at Spotify aren't trying deliberately to annoy us, but rather they're trying to cater to people using Spotify on media centers and HDTVs. But unfortunately this is where one size doesn't fit all. Everything is way too large on a computer screen, while the HDTV users are still complaining about things being too small.

If outright control of font sizes and spacing is impractical due to the number of adjustable parameters, then how about a switch that toggles between two modes: a desktop mode (a compact view as it used to be) and a media center mode (where everything is huge)?

carrerr
Music Fan

One more important thing.

The Spotify design team should be under no illusion that larger line height equals better legibility. This is simply not the case. Increasing the line height beyond a reasonable default actually decreases readability because the eyes have to traverse a longer distance to cover the same amount of information.

This is particularly pertinent to the main use case with Spotify: browsing lists. There's an astronomical difference between seeing 50 items vs. 25 items at a time. The more information you get in on a glance, the less your eyes have to jump around and refocus. There’s a reason newspapers are typeset the way they are.

The old, denser layout also made it much easier to keep mental track of your position in a playlist or an artist page with a lot of albums. Now you have to keep scrolling all the time, which is confusing, annoying, and a strain on the eyes.

Why, Spotify, why? I'm reverting back to the ancient 0.8.5 version until this is fixed.

I’m begging for the design team to take a good hard look at these screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/ubvbJ

53 vs. 25 songs at a glance! Why would you mess up a good thing? The old version is infinitely better in terms of usability, and the font is highly readable even though it’s way smaller than today.

TranceManiac
Regular

I think it's simply just a lack of changing the coding before they released it.. It's a simple fix, it might be great for those with huge monitors, but the majority of the Spotify population most likely are on home computers with 20-27" displays. For us, the wide spacing is a bit too much.. If this is going to be the standard I'd say add an option to decrease spacing for those of us with smaller monitors. It does have a more clean feel to it, but it hurts us smaller monitor peeps just a tad.. Not the funnest to scroll forever to the middle of your playlist because of the spacing. Especially for those of us with 10,000+ tracks.. ;)

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Not Right Now
2014-06-18 Hey guys! We are currently updating this idea status as "Not Right Now". Please know we're continuing to pass on your feedback re the new design. We will post here if there is any update on the space between lines or any other similar areas on the desktop app. Thanks for adding your kudos and comments to the ideas section!
soldier9599
Regular

It is ridiculous that Spotify refuses to fix something that clearly everyone dislikes. Spotify likes to think we're just loud complainers while everyone else likes it, but from asking countless non-complaining Spotify users, I've found this to be totally untrue in this case at least as far as my acquaintances are concerned. carrer has done a great job of explaining why this is such a horrible interface. It's not even like the font size is larger, there is just a bunch of empty space that makes everything confusing and difficult to use. Even on my 2560x1440 display it feels far too spaced out. This is not a matter of screen size or resolution, it's just a matter of terrible design.

As a paying customer I consider Spotify's lack of concern for our desires to be unacceptable. The only thing keeping me with Spotify at this point is the fact that I have well over a thousand songs in dozens of playlists with a bunch of followers, but as Spotify keeps getting worse and worse, I am bound to eventually switch to the competition.

Until then, I will continue using version 0.9.7, which is available here: http://www.javiersantos.me/post/82199053318/download-for-win-os-x-turn-back-to-the-previous-spotify This isn't the most densely packed version from years ago (0.8.5 is slightly denser but it doesn't have the messenger, so I prefer 0.9.7), but it's the grey interface that we had for over a year before the change a few months ago and is definitely much better than the current version.

Croatoan

A slider that changes the spacing, it's really f*cking simple. DO IT!

I'm so freaking  fed up with these **bleep**ty updates that constantly make the program worse.

dweynlovessptfy
Roadie

Let's just all use the Zoom-in and Zoom-Out feature while they are still not thinking about implementing it.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2017-08-24

Hey folks, we're going to mark this as Case Closed today. This idea has had the "Not Right Now" status for over 3 years now. We don't have any plans to change the space between lines in the Desktop app. Of course should this change we will post here to let you all know the feature is coming. We're trying to be very transparent about what we likely, and likely won't, build in the Idea Exchange. Thank you!