Limiting Spotify's Anti Debugging measures

Hello Spotify Staff 🙂

I started using Spotify some time ago. I love this service it's really great - keep it up.

There's just one thing in this software that regularly bullies me. I use a binary mode debugger named OllyDbg (you probably know it).

And as soon as i start working with Olly, Spotify kills itself instantly with a very descriptive message what the problem is.

I know, you may fear that your software is reverse engineered using such tools. But you also know that there's more to anti-debugging

than scanning all running windows for their window-classes or scanning the process list. I myself dont want to reverse your software - see i pay money for it. I use OllyDbg to reverse or debug my own libraries.

If you would consider disabling the process/window-class-scanning it would really be great.

As you may know it takes some knowledge of assembly language to actually be able to USE ollydbg.

I read about this problem - there's even an inactive idea somewhere around here which suggested similar things - and am convinced that

a novice ollydbg user would circumvent this in less than 30 Minutes if he or she really meant to. That's not just a claim, thats a fact. And

for those who don't want to circumvent your software's mechanism there's only the option to fall back to the web player.. Which is not very

convenient 😞 And it sucks if your music suddenly stops in the middle of the work. Also there are several ollydbg stealth plugin's available

which solve this problem instantaneuosly. So why search for the process/window-class in the first place? I'd suggest you limit your anti-debugging mechanism to things that actually happen WITHIN the spotify proccess(es).

I hope you see my arguments 🙂

Kind regards

Updated: 2016-08-21

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-08-23

Marked as new idea.
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

Casual Listener

The latest version of spotify seems to not close when i start the debugger.

Nice! Thanks!

Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-08-21

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!