Link Duplicate, Explicit, and Clean Songs

It would be nice if all songs that were the exact same were linked so that you couldn't add duplicate songs to a playlist.

Also if the explicit and clean songs were linked, you could have a button on a playlist when you are listening to be able change between explicit and clean listening modes. That way you could have awesome playlists that have a lot of explicit songs, but if you want to play the playlist on the speakers at a BBQ with family, you could switch to clean mode and it would be the same playlist except it would have the clean versions.

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2015-08-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

Hello,

There is already an idea about duplicate songs here http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Way-to-prevent-duplicates-in-playlists/idi-p/253 With the option added on the android app it should be coming soon to other apps.

There are also several ideas on explicit and clean versions of songs as well doing a search should bring them up and you might find one you like to support.

aarontevis-us
Music Fan

This idea was geared more towards the explicit vs. clean songs being able to be interchangeable on playlist. But doing this would need to include linking all songs that are the same. This would take care of the duplicate problem, which is why I mentioned it. 

Fred
Community Legend

Hi.

Thank you for posting your idea. 

I can definitely see what and why you suggest this. One problem that strikes me is that quite a few artists have several 'clean' versions, there are clean, there are censored and there are radio edits to name a few.  Out of this multitude of options, which would be linked with a corresponding 'dirty' or explicit track? 

Would it work as well with an explicit/clean button but without the links between songs you suggest? You'd end up with a playlist that changes but that would happen anyway for tracks where only clean or explicit track exists.

These are just some random thoughts regarding your suggestion. 

aarontevis-us
Music Fan

My main goal of this idea is to be able to make a playlist, and with one click, be able to play the edited or clean versions of the songs. 

Just having a button or filter that takes out the explicit tracks from a playlist would not be a fix. Maybe choosing one version of a song to be the main version, which will usually be an explicit version from an album (artists don't usually create and explicit version after a clean version) and there could be a link button with every song that will give a list of all of the different versions, and it doesn't matter what type of version or edit it is, it would either be marking explicit or not.

When you play the playlist in regular mode, it will play whatever version you originally put on the playlist. If you play it in clean mode, it will temporarily replace all explicit songs with a nonexplicit version (it could automatically choose the most popular nonexplicit version). Any song that doesn't have a nonexplicit version would just be greyed out until switched to regular mode. 

If the playlist could switch in nonexplicit songs for explicit ones without having to do all of the linking I proposed, that would be totally fine too. I was just trying to give a suggestion as to how it could be possible. 

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2015-08-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!