[Linux] Support for Raspberry Pi and Linux running on ARM (only x86 is supported)

I've bought a Raspberry Pi, and I plan to make a portable Linux-based Spotify-computer (I'll use Debian, since Ubuntu does not support RPi).

Spotify woun't run on RPi, probably because it's made for x86-platform.

And despotify is not an option, need the complete Spotify client. ;)

For this project I have the RPi, Lenovo LT1421 USB-monitor (great monitor BTW), battery and PSU and of course FiiO E7 DAC for high sound quality. The only thing that's left is the software, and Spotify is not compatible with ARM/RPi.

A phone or tablet don't have good enough sound quality or functionality, so please, make Spotify RPi compatible! :) I also want to have Spotify in my car, but I have to wait until it's supported.

It is also important to support Linux I think, which is a great OS, but is in the shadow of Windows and iOS. To all of you that haven't tried Linux, try it. It rund much faster and better than Windows and uses much less resources.

Updated on 2018-06-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Liam
Community Legend

If it is linux based just use the linux version of Spotify?

flindeberg
Music Fan

Use an ncursed based version instead, ex despotify. 

Or just download the spotify libs and write your own spotify service which you can control from another device. Buying an RPi should indicate that you are tech savvy enough to do that :D

And regarding the linux client, AFAIK it only available in a x86 binary (maybe x64 aswell, a tad unsure there) so its "impossible" (well not really, but RBi cant handle that level of virtualisation without breaking down completely, but you could try qemu if u want to) so it doesn't run on ARM. 

Liam
Community Legend
Oh, won't run on my Android loop Linux installation then ;)
S10QaN

Spotify won't run on RPi because of the chipset. It's probably made for x86, not ARM-platform.

I'll try to get it to work when I get my power supply. But Spotify should be compatible with ARM/RPi anyway, in my opinion. :)

Despotify is not an option for me, I need the full Spotify client. ;)

mcoc

I need a Spotify Client wich ist controllable trough command line :)

Tapsas

Now that there is a ARM libspotify, do you guys know if anyone has made a version with gui? Or does the normal linux version work now in ARM-powered computer?

dommonik

Normal linux version still doesn't work. Today I tried to install it on my cubieboard and it fails with same error.

For me it doesn't look like libspotify gives access to stream service. It allows to operate on playlists, albums and so on, but I can't find nothing for streaming there.

There might be some other way to have sporify on ARM for now - I'm not sure but I think that I saw Spotify for XBMC.

Anyway it would be great to have Spotify on ARM ;)

dommonik

I looked one more time - there is streaming in libspotify - cool :) 

So we just need to wait

Rocio
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

hereallyisadj

Do you guys mean you're looking for this:

http://blog.ajnicholls.com/spotify-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Hope I've helped you this way...