Local Files: Support More Formats (AAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, APE, WMA)

I've seen some posts for this, but mainly concerning .flac files, but I feel many other formats could be implemented. I'm more concerned with .wav files, because that's what mine are, but here's a list of a few common ones:

FLAC
AAC
Ogg Vorbis
ALAC

WAV
AIFF

APE

WMA

It'd be really nice to have all my music available without converting entire albums, because it's nice to listen to music I do own, and music I've added on spotify all on shuffle. I can listen to my local music in Windows Media player or VLC or something, but I'd really like to listen to everything at once.

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2016-06-02

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. Please see this idea for OGG Vorbis and this idea for FLAC.

FWIW, iTunes has become something of a train-wreck, design-wise.  I'm sure there are lots of people looking for a better tool to manage their music collections.  So maybe a nice opportunity here for Spotify -- 

And Btw, I wonder if you added together the votes on all the different forum topics on audio file format support, the commity-demand picture might look different.  E.g. a few votes for ogg-vorbis, a few for FLAC, etc; but the overall request, seems to me, is the one articulated in this issue: support for a wide range of audio formats.

Regular

I would add .mdi to that list even though it's probably far from the most common audio format, I'd rather just use Spotify as my music player but had to resort to Windows Media Player for these songs.

Casual Listener

Definitely need wma file support!! I have thousands of songs in that format!

Casual Listener

great idea !

I'd really like to see .wma support in particular. As some might know, Microsoft is closing down its Groove Music Pass service, and has recommended subscribers move to Spotify Premium. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/02/microsoft-to-bring-spotify-to-groove-music-pa...

I've been happy to oblige, but horrified to find out that Spotify does not support any of my WMA Lossless or WMA Music Pass purchases!

I really don't want to re-code my entire collection, so supporting WMA and WMA Lossless would be ideal! 🙂

Yes - Ogg support would be great!

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!