Announcements

Local Files Sync to Laptops (and other devices)

I have a desktop that I use as my "primary" device as well as an iPhone and a laptop (well and an iPad but thats just because I have too many toys).  Right now if my iPhone is on the same wireless network, it syncs local files with spotify (at least that is how I understand it, haven't finished setting it up).  What I think would be useful is if the same thing could happen with my laptop.  So I maintain my library of local files and playlists of local files and spotify music on my desktop... when my phone and laptop "come into range" and are on, they pull down the changes.

Ideally it would be a two way from the laptop, but I would even settle for a setting that put spotify in "dummy mode" and have it act like the app version.

(Title edited by Premify - added "(and other devices) to make it clearer)

Updated: 2015-11-17

Update: This idea has been submitted again here.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Peter__
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 100+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter

ev_min

I would love to sync some of my local files to my Android device. They are not on spotify and that would allow me to ditch the other players. I'm noit fussed about storing them in the Spotify "Cloud" as I have box.net account for this. 

thierryb180381
Casual Listener

Hello,

I 'd like to synchronize local files import to the Spotify app of my Mac desktop to the Spotify app of my Mac laptop.

Thanks.

Jarmake
Regular

Would love to be able to sync local files between my home desktop computer (Windows) and work computer (Windows). I have so much music (that's not found on Spotify) on my home machine that manually copying  them over is just too much hassle. Maybe authorize one desktop client as master and second as repeater so you  could at least have one machine able to play the local files from another computer?

drmit
Casual Listener

I would just like to add to the community's consensus - It is completely *retarded* to have a feature that scans for 'local files' on a desktop PC and purports to sync them to all your Spotify devices, but then doesn't allow you to play said files that are not in the Spotify catalogue. If the songs were in the Spotify catalouge I wouldn't bother fluffing around importing them in the first place!

I have always been a big supporter of Spotify (premium from day dot) but the fact this isn't a standard feature yet is rediculous.

Spotify purports to be the all-in-one music application because it allows you to play both local files and files in the Spotify catalouge, then it tries to hide the fact that you cannot play local files that are not part of the Spotify catalouge - nowhere in Spotify's help sections/FAQs does it have a simple sentence saying you cannot do this. I have just recently decided I wanted to play some old music that (for once) is not in the catalouge, and I thought it would be easy with Spotify's 'local files' features. How wrong I was.

Another great feature severely lacking is the ability to add local files from your Android's local storage. Why do you force me to use the desktop app to do this??!

I just deleted 30GB of music off my SD card on my Android phone, thinking I can just sync what I want to sync by using the desktop app. How wrong I was.

Spotify, fix this or you are going to lose a loyal customer.

karenvarecka
Casual Listener

This idea is officially over 100 kudos/likes  Please make the ability to sync files stored on your desktop avalable on your mobile -- any mobiel device.  As a spin instructor I download a ton of music that I'd like to use in class which I play from my mobile.  I am a premium member and agree that not having this functionality is rediculous.    

meahtenoha
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2015-06-16

Hey everyone. Spotify staff here. We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' as we don't have plans to implement this one. This thread is still open for kudos and comments though so keep leaving feedback and we'll keep bringing it to teams at Spotify HQ. Thanks.

Flameseeker

Come on guys add this. Right now I have to use Google Drive to sync music across all my computers. Actually, come to think of it.. why don't I just use Google Music where you can actually stream up to 50k tracks from your own library FOR FREE on all devices?

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2015-11-17

Update: This idea has been submitted again here.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!