Announcements

Make Storing Offline Music on an External Drive Easier

I store my music on an external drive. My hard drive space is too limited to have my entire collection on it when I have a good sized external drive. I've set Spotify's cache (where offline music is stored) to that external drive. That works fine. However, if I start Spotify without my external drive plugged in, rather than saying that Spotify couldn't find the music and to please mount the drive or listen to music via streaming, Spotify starts redownloading all the music that I set to offline and changes the cache location back to the local drive. Even if I then plug my external drive in, it has to redownload all the offline music. This isn't convenient when I have 2,000 offline tracks. That takes a while to download.

I would like Spotify to recognize that my external drive isn't mounted and then say: you'll be unable to listen to your offline music. Then pause any syncing until my external drive is plugged back in (and look for the tracks when it gets plugged back in rather than starting syncing all over when all the tracks are still on the external drive).

I'm sure I can't be the only person that would like to store their music on an external drive. As it is right now I'm forced to make sure I have my external drive with me wherever I go or not open Spotify on my laptop (because if I do it will have to resync EVERYTHING, even once I plug my drive back in).

Thanks for reading and considering 🙂

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Roadie

That sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Every time spotify has server problems (too often) I consider doing exactly what you are doing, I'm glad i haven't got round to it.

I'd say this is actually quite a serious flaw in spotify and something that really needs to be fixed.

This is a serious problem for me as well. I'm considering cancelling my premium account. My experience is somewhat worse than those described here because, even when connected, the songs played from my external drive (USB3) lag and skip (presumably because their not getting cached), and when the Spotify app is started without the drive connected, it is removed from the drive list for local files. I have to reconfigure the app each time this happens.

Caching local files in your play list - or at least those you can link (I realize Spotify has contractual concerns about working with copyrighted music) - would be a big help. Also, please consider keeping disconnected drives in the local files search path for future use without requiring the user to reconfigure them each time.

Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!