Make "Extreme" the default quality setting

Wouldn't it be great if Spotify made Extreme the default quality setting for both streaming as offline listening?

Allow me to explain:

- you would be surprised how many people (even paying customers) never get as far as to opening their settings! They lose out on one of the best features of Spotify: the audio quality.

- after every update of the app the quality settings go back to "normal". Every time I get annoyed by the audio sounding bad (yes I can hear the difference), I have to update the settings again. I hear the difference in quality, for a lot of people, it would take them a long time discovering this. Everyone thinks that after changing the settings to extreme, it will stay that way.

- different options for streaming via wifi (extreme) and via 3G (normal) would be great as well. Everyone has unlimited (practically) at home. Usually still 1-2gb via 3G. You wouldn't need to go in settings to make sure you're not pushing your download volume too much with 3G.

The time of 128mbps mp3's being the mainstream audio format for the masses are luckily behind us. Please make sure your customers hear music in the best possible quality. They often have very good sound systems (car, home cinema, sennheiser headphones) but are listening to normal. Not everyone is a techie 🙂

Updated: 2015-09-01

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Spotify-should-automatically-switch-to-higher-st...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

I agree. 320 kbps is heaven of music enjoy. Work it out loud!

Jordi
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Michael_Hazell

I wish that caching audio to your device was something free users can enjoy, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Chances are, if we could do this then nobody would have data problems with Spotify unless they use radio or something. All playlists could be played from cache. The actual downloading of the cache can be on WiFi of course.

BatManExe

Yes. Please allow premium users to make "extreme" quality a default.

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2015-09-01

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Spotify-should-automatically-switch-to-higher-st...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!