Make the client (partially) free and open source software

I see that there are so many useful ideas not going to be implemented right now and "under consideration" for years, such as local FLAC and Ogg Vorbis support (currently I'm using two players because of this), the Linux client is still a "preview", etc... I think that the client itself could be released as a free software while using the proprietary libspotify library to decode the encrypted stream, so anyone could contribute to the player while not being able to download the music. (or release a separate, feature limited client) Also I'd like to see libspotify available for free users too, implementing the advertisements somehow.

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Partnership-Offer-an-open-source-client/id...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

elspotifyo
Regular

Also an advantage of making the client open source would be that it can be compiled for other *NIX systems such as FreeBSD.

EarlPurple
Roadie

It would mean they can't take away features we like or force things upon us like having a global rather than local play-queue.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Partnership-Offer-an-open-source-client/id...

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!