Make the library more functional

The Library is a really confusing and endless list of songs, especaly on the mobile apps. You can't just click around and just listen to music without knowing what you want to hear.

It would be awesome if there was a possibility to Split the Screen when you're in the library an show a list with Artists, Album and Genre. Like we all know it from iTunes, Winamp, WMP. So you could click on an artist an all titles, albums and genres that aren't realated to him disappear. Just like a predefined Filters for all the artists, genres and albums in your library.

So it would be much easier to search to search for music in your library without knowing exactly what you are searching for.

This is also why a search function can't replace such filters.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-22 um 10.03.06.png

There should also be a possibility to edit which details are shown in the library. Things like "year of release", "track number on the album" or just "number on the playlist" are hardly missing.

2014-04-09 Hey guys, we’re going to mark this Ideas as “Case closed”.

That’s because this week we introduced “Your Music”. Now you can save, organize and browse your favorite music. All in one place, across all platforms.

As users will now be able to view all their favorite artists, albums, and songs “Your Music” rather than a “Library” this idea is now closed. For a glimpse of “Your Music” and our new design changes click here.

These changes have rolled out to iPhone, desktop and web users this week, and will soon be available across all platforms. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Comments

The developers would be wise to finally respond to their loyal subscribers on this issue.. Spotify lacks the library management tools found in iTunes, MOG,  Beats Music, Google Play Music All Access, and Rdio, to name a few. These other streaming services are not playlist centric, understanding that the ideal function of a playlist is simply to store queues of favorite tracks. Presently, only the desktop client allows users to create folders within the playlist pane, but even this is not  remotely a substitute for the ease of saving tracks, artists, and albums to a searchable, organized library. As Spotifiy appears to have the lowest data consumption, for users who occasionally like to stream on limited data plans (vs. exclusively stream or download via Wifi), they have a big edge on the competition. Now, If the Spotify developers would fix this serious flaw, they would definitely gain a larger share of the streaming service market.

One other thing, in addition to artist biographies, Beats and Rdio add terrific informative album descriptions for many titles. 

This is my most wanted feature. Has anything progressed from "Under Consideration" from over a year ago?

Regular

OK now i've got MY MUSIC ! Thank you. But everything is empty :

I have no albums, despite the facts I have done 1000 playlists and 90% are actually albums put in playlists cuz the option was not developed.

Same for the artists, where I've got 1000 artists followed and no one is in My music.

And sorry but I dont want to add all the artists that are on albums compilations I added.

It will have been good to find the local files at the same place too.

Thanks and good luck for next steps

This is one of the most basic things a music listening app needs.

So far, I've been making a playlist for every album. But now my list of playlists has become a big unorganized jumble of albums, and I can't  even read the whole title of each playlist because it is titled with both the artist and the album name, and on iOS this is usually too long to display.

If it weren't for the vast amount of music availible on Spotify, the lack of this feature would be a dealbreaker. I seriously believe that if this feature is implemented well, Spotify become the standard music player over iTunes. Because really, this is quite possibly the only thing that iTunes does better than Spotify.

Well "your music" came out a couple of days ago on desktop and mobile with the new UI and it's fantastic. Spotify is without doubt the best £10 I spend every month.
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Case Closed

2014-04-09 Hey guys, we’re going to mark this Ideas as “Case closed”.

That’s because this week we introduced “Your Music”. Now you can save, organize and browse your favorite music. All in one place, across all platforms.

As users will now be able to view all their favorite artists, albums, and songs “Your Music” rather than a “Library” this idea is now closed. For a glimpse of “Your Music” and our new design changes click here.

These changes have rolled out to iPhone, desktop and web users this week, and will soon be available across all platforms. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

So??? This "Your Music" feature does NOT resolve the problem!

We still cannot sort files by year for example. And there is no column to see in what Playlists do I have a song.

I don't get it.. under "My music" everything is empty.. after some research I found out in only lists the things I subscibed to online, but my 100gb music collection I have imported is nowhere displayed. This is pretty useless, it does not solve anything. Or am I missing something? 

Gig Goer

Okay then. Just open the WMP or any comparable player and see what you can do there with the library. And then ask me one question. Do you really think this "Your Music" stuff is an adequate alternative? I don't think so.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28

The discussion about this feature request continues in a new idea here.