Make the library more functional

The Library is a really confusing and endless list of songs, especaly on the mobile apps. You can't just click around and just listen to music without knowing what you want to hear.

It would be awesome if there was a possibility to Split the Screen when you're in the library an show a list with Artists, Album and Genre. Like we all know it from iTunes, Winamp, WMP. So you could click on an artist an all titles, albums and genres that aren't realated to him disappear. Just like a predefined Filters for all the artists, genres and albums in your library.

So it would be much easier to search to search for music in your library without knowing exactly what you are searching for.

This is also why a search function can't replace such filters.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-22 um 10.03.06.png

There should also be a possibility to edit which details are shown in the library. Things like "year of release", "track number on the album" or just "number on the playlist" are hardly missing.

2014-04-09 Hey guys, we’re going to mark this Ideas as “Case closed”.

That’s because this week we introduced “Your Music”. Now you can save, organize and browse your favorite music. All in one place, across all platforms.

As users will now be able to view all their favorite artists, albums, and songs “Your Music” rather than a “Library” this idea is now closed. For a glimpse of “Your Music” and our new design changes click here.

These changes have rolled out to iPhone, desktop and web users this week, and will soon be available across all platforms. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

I'd like to see improvements to the library functionality. Specifically:

1. Separate library functionality from starred and playlists. It's great that starred and playlisted songs are part of your library but almost all of my playlists are albums because I don't want to star entire albums. I'd like an add to library button that just does that.
  2. Improved library view. A split view where I can select artist, album, then tracks. WinAMP had a great implementation of this. The current library view doesn't work for me because I can't quickly scroll to a specific artist having to scroll through all tracks of all other artists.

My 2c.

pocketMobilizer

This needs to be implemented ASAP. Spotify, keep your UI up to industry standards.

Josiah86

Being able to sort our playlists by Album or Artist would be amazing, especially on the mobile app. I end up just shuffling my playlists because it takes way too long to find the artist, album or song that I'm in the mood for. Winamp, iTunes and WMP all do this and it's what we're all used to (and it works).

olybenjamin

For the love of god, pelase let us sort by genre!!

Cryser7
Casual Listener

That is my biggest wish for Spotify!!!

Pleasy make a function that you can scroll through the covers of your albums like in iTunes :)

tjb
Roadie

The first time I opened Spotify, it blew my mind that this feature didn't exist.  I desperately need this for browsing my local files.

glassFractals
Casual Listener

This would be great.  An added bonus would be the ability to tag a track/album/artist with multiple genres and sub-genres.

eia

This just needs to be added when you support local files

vurtual
Gig Goer

This is a total necessity!

bennythew

I love spotify but the lack of this feature seriously limits its usability.

I end up listening to the same old songs, same old albums due to not being able to scroll, sort and look through my music (both Spotty content and local files) with as much ease as itunes or wmp...

The ability to group artist's albums, see cover art etc would make spotify the best music player ever made...