Announcements

Making music available offline - in the right order

This post is inspired by the crappy internet connection that I have, at the moment!

The situation:

I'm at a hotel, with pretty bad wifi, which makes streaming unreliable. To make the music experience bearable, I want to save my music offline (I'm using the desktop application (OS X)).

The problem:

Spotify doesn't prioritize relevant music, when queuing downloads. As an example, it opted to download a song I added over 4 years ago (and don't listen to, often), instead of the music I really wanted to hear!

Motivation:

In simple terms, it's a party pooper! I'd rather wait 10 minutes and know that the most relevant music is available offline, instead of the intermittent interruptions, during playback, should I play without having the music downloaded. Even worse, while making my music available offline, even less bandwidth is avaiable to stream the song I attempt to play.

As a note, my current internet connection is, above all, unreliable. It can go from the slowish, but acceptable, 0.5 Mbit/s to nothing, within the span of seconds.

Potential solution:

How about an algorithm that does this:

1. If there is cached music, move it from the temporary cache to the offline cache, and mark those songs as downloaded (visibly to the user) (if this is possible, from a legal or quality-related perspective)

2. If I'm playing something now, drop everything, immediately, and download that song, first (even if it's not in the playlist I want offline; caching is equally important, in this case).

3. Download music in the order of the play queue (this would be, by far, the most important improvement). Especially if I queued the music manually (I hope Spotify can make the distinction between manually queuing and automatic play queue generation). If I queue a song, that is not part of an offline playlist, prioritize the caching of that song, before continuing with the process of making music available offline.

4. Continue downloading the rest of the playlist, as long as the play queue doesn't change - if it does, GOTO 2.

Cheers and lots of love!

P.S. I couldn't edit the tags for this post, I could only add tags by clicking the "top tags" (I'm a noob at the forums, but it feels like the Tags textbox should be editable). 

Updated: 2016-02-06

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea.
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-02-06

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!