[Messages] Ability to Unblock

In the new Messages tab (in v0.9.8+ which has rolled out to some users, if you don't have it yet it should make it out to you sometime in the future) it is possible to block people from sending you messages. When you block someone you get a confirmation window warning blocking can not be undone:

I do not find this a satisfactory solution, just like with Facebook I would like the ability to block and unblock people as I like. Just like relationships between people, blocking should not be a permanent undoable thing.

Hey folks we've come back to update this idea status as 'case closed'. 

We are currently in the process of deprecating the Inbox/Messages feature within the Spotify app.

Extensive data analysis has shown that this feature has very low engagement. The huge disparity between the use of the feature and the manpower required to maintain it doesn’t merit keeping it running, so we've taken the difficult decision to remove it. 

It’s still very easy to share and chat about music from Spotify. You can check out this support article to discover other ways for getting social. Thanks for your continued feedback everyone.

Comments
Woking_Bob
Regular

NOT SO GOOD TO SEE AFTER 27 MONTHS OF COMPLAINTS SPOTIFY STILL HASNT LISTENED TO THEIR PAYING AUDIENCE AND DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
2+ YEARS SPOTIFY, REALLY?  COMMUNICATION SHOULD ENTAIL LISTENING TOO!!!!!

warmth
Concert VIP

2017 and still no way to unblock users.

ShaneWilleke
Festival Fanatic

What is the actual reason why this has not been resolved? Spotify has clearly taken an extremely hard line, for a specific reason... yet won't divulge what that might be.  Is it to force the people, one at a time, to reconsider the consequences of blocking people, as it pertains to connecting the world? To consider the ramifications of their acitons in a bigger picture? That is very idealistic of spotify, but if we are unable to unblock then how can our current generation learn and grow from past mistakes?  It can only be done through reproduction, and years of teaching our children to seriously consider the ramifications of blocking someone, and the terror it instills on the blocker, and blockee...  However, my family, and children are on my account.  They carry the burden of my mistakes as well!  Punished for being born??  Spotify, why??? Please don't oppress me and my family for generations that haven't yet been conceived!

On a serious note, I have been waiting for Spotify to fix this since 2014, personally. And ...I'm done waiting. I was just trying to figure out how to transfer my playlists to another platform, and it's not hard.  

Spotify... what's up? I'm about to switch, and no I don't want to start a new Spotify account to fix this.  Just fix the problem. 

davidsalvarez
Regular

Hey Spotify, could you please listen to your paying customers?

mmffmm
Regular

Shame on you Spotify. Been waiting for years now... Block feature shouldn't come without the Unblock feature. That's how you make your users angry.

maggiemay1978
Music Lover

It's ridiculous that this is not a functionality. It cannot be a cost effective usage of their employees time to set up new accounts for people wishing to unblock someone, this is actually their solution to this problem. If you can block someone you should be able to unblock them. 

burakcalik
Concert Regular

lol spotify have the worst developers :D 

- you can't delete messages from inbox

- you can't unblock

- you don't reveice a notification when you get a message

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Case Closed

Hey folks we've come back to update this idea status as 'case closed'. 

We are currently in the process of deprecating the Inbox/Messages feature within the Spotify app.

Extensive data analysis has shown that this feature has very low engagement. The huge disparity between the use of the feature and the manpower required to maintain it doesn’t merit keeping it running, so we've taken the difficult decision to remove it. 

It’s still very easy to share and chat about music from Spotify. You can check out this support article to discover other ways for getting social. Thanks for your continued feedback everyone.