Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Bring back Thumbs up/down in radio

Spotify took away the thumbs up and down options on radio stations. Does that make you as mad as I am. I spent dozen of hours optimizing all my radio stations and now they are useless as Spotify basically plays whatever they want to play on them. It's become just like one of their own playlist. Gone all my beautiful radio stations. 

I chatted with customer support and here is what they said:

"Sorry to hear you're missing your thumbs up and down Radio, and I can see backstage this is due to the recent Spotify update. We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall."

If you are dissatisfied, help get this feature back by liking this post. 

Thanks! 

Updated on 2021-06-28

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange!

We looked into this further and agreed that this feedback is valuable. Furthermore, the Idea has gathered the necessary amount of votes and should now be reaching the internal teams at Spotify.

We'll keep monitoring and checking out the comments here, too. As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
lemmeadem1

I'm throwing my hat in the ring and saying I hate the new radio feature being un-customizable to the extent it is. 

Bring back thumbs down/thumbs up, song hiding, etc.

simplestuff

TO SPOTIFY: How many people have to vote on this for you to take notice? There have been hundreds of people asking for this for over two years now, yet no serious response whatsover. What's the point of this website then?

tcroots78

@simplestuff. Agreed, how is this still a request for three years. 

DEAR SPOTIFY, please give some direction on your consideration of this.

Jacob
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-05-20

According to the Idea Exchange Guidelines, the place to submit constructive criticism of an update is the relevant Help section of the Community. For more information, check out the Guidelines here.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-28

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange!

We looked into this further and agreed that this feedback is valuable. Furthermore, the Idea has gathered the necessary amount of votes and should now be reaching the internal teams at Spotify.

We'll keep monitoring and checking out the comments here, too. As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Satumo

That's great news. I've been using Tidal for the past few years because of the disappearance of this feature. I could consider coming back to Spotify if you decide to bring it back. 

frfrfr

Please get this done somehow.

For some reason, last night on my Android Tablet(SGS6 lite), I had the option to thumb up/down.

Not on my phone (SGS21) nor on Desktop.

Please get this sorted/fixed/implemented asap!

warrnmtl

I think I'm getting what happened. Spotify ran tests and found that providing users with personalized playlists ("Daily Mix") generated longer listening times and greater spread of musicians. This study was around early 2019.

• Unfortunately, not all users like Daily Mixes. They don't always like direct album recommendations. Some users may resist being dictated to by an algorithm and instead would prefer directly curating their tastes themselves from radio.
  • Algorithmically deriving tastes from previous listens isn't a good way to predict for users that seek new music and new genres proactively - which may very well be the most dedicated user demographic that's willing to pay. Instead, these users find Daily Mixes to be reductive and repetitive.
  • The test itself appears to have been using Spotify playlists curated by humans as the benchmark, rather than user-curated radio lists. So that's an apples to orange basis for discontinuing.
  • Lastly, the radio curation option is not in opposition to the algorithmic Daily Mixes, it's a complementary way of getting users to expand their listening tastes.

Side note: Your approach to updating is ill-conceived:

• Expecting users to track down this original post and voting is lazy and leaves your user base indignant.
  • You wait for posts to stack to a threshold contingent on timing rather than amount. But at the same time you shut down duplicate posts - so you've basically made it dead in the water by preventing a reset on the time.
  • I would be shocked if you counted all the duplicate posts to the vote threshold.
  • Also, I don't know your user turnover rate, but adding time interval as a parameter is pretty short-sighted.

jakarazo

Hear hear!

Dear Spotify,

Please include thumbs up/down function in RADIO* mode on every platform on all devices! As it is now I have a feeling that I'm slowly drifting away from the otherwise really cool Spotify experience, as I can 'teach' Spotify algorithms only when in Android connected via Bluetooth.

Beccacable

Bring back thumbs up thumbs down. 
I hate seeing Fox News on my feed I want to thumbs down it.