[Mobile][Browse] Bring back the good parts of the old UI

The old mobile UI so many of us loved had our own beloved libraries and collections front and center by using the whole screen to show playlists, albums or podcasts.

The new update introduces two design UI/UX decisions that I absolutely can't get behind.

The huge titlebar

You know that in design big=important, right? The biggest thing now is the titlebar where we can switch between podcasts and music.

But the decision if a user wants to listen to podcasts or music is made even before she/he launches the app.

I leave the house, take my phone out of my pocket knowing that I want to listen to that new abum or playlist on the bus ride. I go to: Library -> Playlists and stay there until I unplug my headphones.

I'm cooking or washing the dishes and I want to listen to that new podcast episode? I choose: Library -> Podcasts and listen until I'm finished.

We do not switch back and forth between music and podcasts multiple times. We don't want this huge titlebar to push our own content further down.

If you absolutely want to keep it, please at least don't let it show everytime there is just a slight scrolling upwards. 

Huge Icons

This would not be such a big problem If you didn't choose to color playlist folders and the "add playlist" button in this "Mockup Gray" shade.

This just does not look nice. 

When I open the app I do not see my awesome music collection, I see gray mockup icons that make me feel like I use an 0.0.1 version of Spotify.

You also chose to force usage of this "Favorite Songs" playlist by placing it on top with no option to hide it. I don't want to use it because the concept of "liked songs" together in a playlist musically makes no sense to me. I like different songs, I like happy ones, sad ones, neutral ones. Listening to this playlist would be an emotional rollercoaster. 

Now for the "new idea" part:

1. Bring back full screen content views. Let us navigate to them by choosing if we want to see albums, artists, podcasts or singles on a seperate screen. Our own collections are the most important part of your app.
  2. Make the icons smaller again OR move the "Add Playlist" Button to the top right, allow hiding of "Liked Songs" and make playlist folders visually appealing by setting colors or cover art.

Spotify please, at least gives us 1 good and thought out response to our massive criticism. 

Please don't close this idea (like the other one about the new UI) by giving one of those Copy-Paste responses telling us how to use the interface correctly. 

We understand how to use the interface. We just don't like it because you made design mistakes. If you close this idea again everyone visiting this thread will see how bad your communication with your users really is.

spotify1.png

Updated on 2019-07-16

It's better to post each suggestion in it's separate thread. That way, users can vote on each one of your ideas.

Just be sure to check out if the idea is already there. If it's not, submit it after reading the idea submission guidelines.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. :)

Comments
Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2019-07-16

It's better to post each suggestion in it's separate thread. That way, users can vote on each one of your ideas.

Just be sure to check out if the idea is already there. If it's not, submit it after reading the idea submission guidelines.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. :)