Announcements

[Mobile] Configurable shuffle/play button

In the iOS app, I'd like to be able to configure the main green Play button on the right so that you can choose whether it plays an album in sequential or shuffle order.  I know I can tap on the first song for sequential, but it seems that should be the default behavior for a play button. I'd like to see a setting to determine the default behavior of the play button. This seems like a better solution than, e.g., having two buttons which would clutter up the screen.

Updated on 2022-01-19

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

Comments
Luan
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-10-08

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos yet. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to continue sharing it to get more kudos. Folks can still add their votes and comments in order to support it.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Kathlos

This has been mentioned by other but I think cannot be stressed enough. What are you doing exactly? Creating web page traffic for Spotify?

There is a work around to press the first song to play sequentially, but I should be able to turn the ****** thing off. 

If I am in the car and choose a playlist or voice command, I have to do extra steps to stop shuffle. REALLY? you want us to try harder for a simple thing while driving? 

_rightclick

This is a necessary feature in my book. I don't know when the "shuffle play" button was added to the album page, but if I recall it wasn't there since the first version of the app (I've been a user since the release), because one day, a few years ago I distinctly remember being stumped as to how to play an album from the beginning, and I swear it used to be a "Play" button. Thanks for creating this idea. 

My interpretation of the need for implementation of this idea is that artists spend a lot of time deciding track list order, so that listeners get a certain experience. I argue that Spotify UI doesn't support that experience. In order to listen to an album one must click the first song in the album, and also have nothing else in the queue (often I click on a song in an album, and after its through it returns to whatever playlist I was previously listening to) - Essentially there is no easy way or 1 click solution to listen to an entire album as the artist intends.

5av10ur

So it seems that Spotify users opinions don't matter but Adele's opinion does? Funny how they weren't able to do anything about this until Adele made a fuss and then they actioned it within days. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59365019

MusicManCH

Thank you Adele and shame on the product owner and ux guys at Spotify for not listening. 

dyndragon

So we aren't that important enough by votes, but apparently Adele is! The Guardian: Spotify hides shuffle button after Adele says albums should ‘tell a story’.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/21/spotify-hides-shuffle-button-adele-albums-should-tell-...

MattSuda

Give the user the choice on how they want to listen. Why can't we have BOTH Play & Shuffle buttons? Other music apps already have this.

💡New Idea:

Albums & Playlists: Have BOTH Play & Shuffle buttons at the top

Please click the link and vote for it in the Spotify Community. I think adding both instead of just having one that is configurable would be better to let the user decide. 

chuckfrancis

On Android the album play button still shuffles it on the latest app version. Can someone on Spotify confirm whether this is intended to be an iOS-only feature, and if so, why? 

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-19

We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-19