Announcements

[Mobile] Configurable shuffle/play button

In the iOS app, I'd like to be able to configure the main green Play button on the right so that you can choose whether it plays an album in sequential or shuffle order.  I know I can tap on the first song for sequential, but it seems that should be the default behavior for a play button. I'd like to see a setting to determine the default behavior of the play button. This seems like a better solution than, e.g., having two buttons which would clutter up the screen.

Updated on 2022-01-19

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

Comments
richmgoodman

Great idea! I would request that this be made an option, so that users can enable/disable shuffle for playlists within their settings. What harm can come from giving people more options to customize, and make everyone happy?

ignignokt

There is nothing more annoying than always having to UN-CLICK shuffle after you press play on a playlist.  I usually prefer to play without shuffle.

Please listen to the many complaints and add an option in settings to choose whether the default play button is shuffle or not.  Then EVERYONE can make the choice for themselves.

Some tips - just because your analytics data shows customers are using the shuffle play button does not mean it is because they want to.  It might be because they actually do not have a choice and it's too annoying to go an 'de-shuffle- it.  

You may have run an A/B test and saw that overall users engaged with the shuffle button more or it was easier for users to use because generally people choose shuffle more than ordinary play.  So you just rolled it out forcing it on everyone and ignoring the fact that your customers are actually different and you've just made it a worse experience for everyone who does not like using shuffle.

Just give us the option.  Set it as a feature flag. It involves very little development.

andykirillov

On mobile (Android, Premium) whenever you press Play button, the default mode is Shuffle. Even if you disable Shuffle in the current song (the only way), then it might still randomly start playing the next one or sometime later in the playlist in the Shuffle mode. This is unacceptable. There must be a separate Shuffle mode button or an option in the menu to completely disable the Shuffle mode. 

UUDeeJay

I have recently returned to Spotify and am disappointed to see that one of the main reasons that caused me to leave is just as it was. The infernal shuffle.

It seems no attention is paid to paying customers requests/complaints so as soon as my 3 months special return offer is over I will not renew and this time I will not be back. Ever.