Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Lyrics

There must be a way to turn off lyrics, my kids read all offensive lyrics to easily, should be easy to add an options for lyrics on/off

Updated on 2023-03-31

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Rafilondon1

+1 Just let us simply turn them off at the buttom screen (where you can expand them) and keep them off until we turn it on again..

It's a shame Spotify thinks it's a good Idea to completely remove options like this and their discussion thread where you could discuss this change only shows "Access Denied". 

pastelseas

I just find them distracting and want to disable them sometimes. Plus, they can be an eyestrain when in the dark, and not all lyrics are correct. For example the song Sweet Tooth by Scott Helman, Spotify lyrics say "with a cooking bowl" when the line is "with a crooked moan". While funny, it's unreliable.

paulthewalton

As noted by earlier commenters, the lyrics feature severely impacts the ability to change songs by swiping, as just about any amount of upward motion scrolls down, and the song cannot be swiped if the scroll position is not exactly at the top.

sdschramm

Posting here since my idea was closed...

Please provide an option to toggle the display of lyrics on iOS devices. Currently a large colored bar appears at the bottom of the screen when the player window is full size, and when using split view on an iPad, the lyrics are automatically opened and scrolling along with the music. This can be very distracting. I personally do not have a use for the lyrics and would wish to turn them off. This setting could be a toggle within the settings, or perhaps a better way would be to implement something similar to the desktop app where you simply tap the microphone icon to show/hide the lyrics.

Tiburan

I find it annoyingly difficult to swipe between songs, to clarify 9 out of 10 times my swipe is not perfectly horizontal which leads to swiping up / down. As you can see in the attached screenshot, this leads to showing lyrics over swiping to the next song.

Screenshot_20220109-125621_Spotify.jpg

To me it does not make much sense, that even if my swipe is not 100% horizontal, it is still mostly from right to left en definitely not for bottom to top. So why would the app prefer showing lyrics over skipping over to the next song.

I would kindly like to ask the developers to consider implementing a toggle, in the app settings which allows us to enable / disable lyrics in the player.

I do love the option of having lyrics but (without sounding too entitled) as a premium user I would prefer the option to choose what functions I want enabled.

tekp2

Please add a setting to disable the lyrics guff. It adds huge amounts of visual clutter. I can't be the only one who'd rather the whole feature was gone.

unrelentinghunt

You guys dodge and rethread this idea every time it's posted and it can never garner enough points because of it. 

Im so tired of not being able to swipe to change songs because for some reason you decided the up swipe should be way more sensitive, lock you out of horizontal swiping and show you song lyrics?? I don't understand why you removed the ability to toggle this.

gabriel_285

My idea starts with the creation of a button that allows you to show or hide the lyrics of the songs, allowing a more minimalist interface. I don't know if it's me but I love the implementation of the lyrics, what I don't like is the square below that, in my opinion, spoils the Canvas experience a bit, something I really like on Spotify.

bosi

@Xenia, this is not a new suggestion, it is a bug report. Please let us decide ourselves whether we want to see the lyrics.

bosi

Lyrics, fine, but...did you have to implement it in such bad way that it annoys people?

As Tiburan demonstrates above, switching song now has to be a very exact left-right motion with your finger, not slightly up or slightly down as Spotify favours up-down motion. And if an up-down motion is started, left-right motion is locked so there is no way to switch song except lifting your finger and start from beginning.

So you have made Spotify more hard to use. This design flaw cannot have passed your own testing unnoticed, so why did you do this to us?

Furthermore, to prepare for this change some time ago, you moved the whole "canvas" up a few millimeters to make room for the lyrics bar at the bottom. So now I got two burn marks on my mobile screen. Thank you very much...

20220117_123730.jpg