Announcements

[Mobile] Optimize for new Screen Ratios (18:9, etc.)

Please optimize the Android app for odd screen ratios, like 18.5:9 and 18:9 for the Samsung Galaxy S8(+) and LG G6. Now ugly black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen.

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

same request

Please update SPOTIFY to the new 18/9 

This size will come as a new standard 

NETFLIX , GOOGLE

So please SPOTIFY update your app ...

Casual Listener

Seems to work ok on S8 when forcing the Spotify app to run in full screen (Display - Full screen apps - toggle switch). Still, please update the app for native 18.5:9/18:9 support.

Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

Music Fan

I agree with that.

Spotify is great but the display is not optimal for big screens. I have a Samsung S8+ and I have tried both Spotify and Google play music, I prefer Spotify for the music and automatic playlists, but the display of Google play music is better.
Look at included screenshots. I have put screens of Spotify and Google play music display while playing a song. Notice all the "black" places on the Spotify version, while Google play music uses all the available space...

To me this is not really a ratio issue, as you can force spotify full screen, to avoid that, but the UI is not optimized for big screens. They could add more info, or make the picture bigger, and arrange the UI elements a way to optimize the display better...

Thanks
On spotifyOn spotifyOn google play musicOn google play music...

This has been a request since April? Still nothing implemented unfortunately. I wonder if the iPhone X will get its update before us on Android do

iPhone X is now optimized... And Android? Nothing. Still waiting. 

Spotify want's to bring same experience with their multiplatform UX/UI but I don't see the same experience using Spotify using Android instead of an iPhone...............

Casual Listener

What the **bleep**?! iPhone X is already optimized.

It's not only Samsung and LG now with the 18:9. I know they foolishly gave an option to fit any app and you thought it took away work from you, but now the Pixel 2 XL still has a small black bar at the bottom with no fix.

How does an iPhone X get a fix within weeks and Android didn't get it in months?

Regular

COME ON SPOTIFY.

Casual Listener

This shouldn't even be something we have to ask for. I'm a paying customer for years using it on various operating systems but Android users seem to get discriminated just like snapchat does it. Shouldn't be to hard to give the app a small overhaul to fill the black bar.

Just need to add

<meta-data android:name="android.max_aspect" android:value="2.1" />
in <application> element of AndroidManifest.xml for optimal display on super widescreen devices, e.g. Samsung Galaxy S8, Pixel 2XL etc.

As long as Spotify does not include the command you will have a black bar at the bottom when hiding navbar.

So long you can add the command urself de- and recompiling the app with apktool.

JrsJsKG.pngAnd go from the black bar to fullscreen at the bottom as shown in the screenshots.