[Mobile] Option: No images for faster speed / save data

Hi,

I'm a spotify user for years now.

I use the app everyday and created 1000 playlists. Really.

But now, the app is constantly slow and crashing. Why? Because Spotify changed a rule with its black version: before on playlist in your mobile app, there was no image of the playlist. Now it tries to load tons of images which slow the app a lot!

You could make the app so much faster with a simple setting option: use spotify without images!

I use an iPhone 4S and this is a big issue for me and I'm sure also for thousand of users.

As a Product Manager myself, I did the same in our app and we are now engaging more people in countries with slow brandwitch & with people with old devices.

It is a really simple solution and a pretty fast one to implement!

I'm sure if an Analytic manager at Spotify really check the stats of users with old phones that have a lot of playlists or users in countries with low brandwitch, he will see that the app has a lower use and that it decreased just after the black version.

Keep up the good work and continue to improve!

Best,

Sylvain Chaussard

spotify before.png
Spotify after.png

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-23

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated: 2015-07-24

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

Calyandra
Casual Listener

I use iPhone 5S in my BMW - in the iDrive the loading of coverart is really slow - in the mobile implementation the speed is ok - but there should be really an option to supress loading coverart (esp.) in lists - i have "only" around 15 playlists and 100 albums saved now - cause i need to remove them again to work with proper speed.. note again: only affects iDrive in my case.

ferraris
Casual Listener

I also want to suggest that in a car (I use my iphone with Spotify through BMW's iDrive) the display of album covers is fine for the currently playing track but when you want to find something to play eg. scrolling through the New Releases, it's usually impossible to know the artist of each album just by seeing the album cover (especially if it's a new album).

So my related request is that when connected to BMW connected drive mini album covers are fine but the important inmformation is the album name and artist (the Deezer app built into iDrive ie. the one that doesn't require a phot to be connected, manages to do this however that doesn't show any albums your added to your favourites).

3 photos below :

1.  Bad : Spotify New Releases in iDrive - doesn't show Artist.

DSC_0192.JPG2. Good : Spotify My Library in iDrive - gives me album cover, title and artist.

DSC_0193.JPG

3.  Good : Deezer (built in iDrive app, no phone required AND saves music to internal hard disk)...New Releases shows album title and artist.

DSC_0194.JPG

I would say though that I don't find speed is generally a problem if there's a decent signal.

Thanks!

Simon

cipp
Come on guys. It's not a big change and we need it. Disable cover download on metered connections.
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-23

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!