[Mobile] Smart Offline Mode with no WiFi

You currently have a Download using cellular toggle. A Stream using cellular toggle would be much more valuable.

I currently have to remember to enable "Offline mode" every time I leave the house. This is maddening. Further, this stops all internet usage. I can't even search through artists and albums. I don't have any problem using a little mobile data for looking things up—I just want to prevent streaming.

It is bizarre that you would have a toggle for downloading. To download something, you have to explicitly choose to; you really can't just do it by accident. Whereas when playing a song from a given artist, it's not immediately obvious whether it's downloaded or streaming. So one can easily do accidental streaming, which is super frustrating if you pay for data (e.g. with Google Fi).

Updated on 2019-08-07

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in a slightly different form :)

Have a nice day!

Luke

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-07-27

Marked as new idea.

This is a repost of this inactive idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Smart-Offline-Mode-with-no-WiFi/idi-p/25675

wanderphx
Casual Listener

this is great!  please share this idea with other spotify users so they are aware. 

ryrymadison
Gig Goer

I agree! This would definitely prevent me from going over on my data every month. Would be a nice feature!

selim507

I am deeply support this idea and think a few times in a week why this idea have not implemented yet. I look forward this development. 

Fry1990

Want too only in "NOT-OFFLINE-MODE" when on WLAN/WIFI.

On Mobile Data i want to be in OFFLINE-MODE.

Kalmora
Roadie

Spotify, please start to improve the user experience and save our mobile data

Kcc

(post deleted.  This is just some text to meet some silly rule)

Kcc

This is not a new idea.

It's been suggested before - marked as 'mobile data' rather than 'cellular data'...

I keep using up my meagre monthly mobile/cellular allowance by forgetting to keep setting Spotify to'offline'

Come on, sort it out!

rsukup99

The votes from the old post should be moved over to this one since it's the same idea just posted again.  It's unfair to assume that everyone who uses Spotify knows that they can come here and vote on new features and additions.  Don't get me wrong, I love that as a community we have this ability, but it's not common knowledge.  I would hazard a guess that less than 50% of the users of this service know that they have a voice in what features are added.

If nothing else please communicate to the masses that they have this ability.  Maybe a mass email with a link to the ideas section of the community and tell people they can easily go here and vote for their favorite new features.  Maybe it's been done in the past but it never hurts to do it again.

This feature is absolutlely a needed item.  There is no other service that I know of that can do it and I know that there are lots of people who don't have unlimited data but still love their music.  This could become a marketing point...