Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Your Library] Pin a filter type to make it the default Library sorting.

With the new update to the library that brings in filters for Library and a single list, I and I assume many users would like a way to default a filter to Library.

For example, I want the ability to pin the "Playlists" filter as default so that whenever i open Library it automatically opens the view on "Playlists" instead of having a single list of everything tucked together.

This would mean anyone who only used Playlists (or Artists or Albums) before the new update would get something similar while people who like the new update could just opt to not pin any filters.

Updated on 2022-09-07

Hey! It seems this suggestion is on the road again, so we are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
5hris

Yes please. I hate the new library and its filter based feature. No item I care about/used recently is ever on top and the placement of the filters is wonky if you hold your phone with one hand. So knowing Spotify won't do anything about it I'd at least like to pin filters to see what I care about first.

clayteller

I really just want the YOUR LIBRARY screen to remember whichever filters I set and keep showing me that when I go to this screen unless I change the filters. I hate that it forgets my filters and shows me EVERYTHING as the default view. 

Yuzhshen

Yes, 100x yes. I also want to make it clear that this is not just a random beloved feature suggestion - the current behavior is a feature regression from the previous version of Spotify which we all used and adapted to for years.

The previous version of Spotify put playlists front and center as the main library curation tool (it's as if the playlists chip was stickied). The library view was customizable with custom ordering. The new default library view offers no such custom sorting - you need to make an extra tap for that. For people who love using their library through albums and artists, the old library view requires the same number of taps to get to that content. Adding sticky chips would not only improve the experience for playlisters yearning for that old library experience, it would also improve the experience for artist and album listeners - and basically anyone interested in using their library.

Inudesu

You know, it's almost as if having everything in one giant playlist that then has to be sorted and unsorted and re-sorted by type isn't a great idea.

Who could have foreseen such a thing?

maeveynot

This does not need to require a specific "pinning" action by the user (that then has to have UI, can have its own bugs, etc). Just save what is selected instead of resetting it.

red_robin

I suspect this is intended behaviour, b/c Spotify wants to push those podcasts into our faces and brains. In the end this is all about money (podcasts). 

xyjp_f-aiuc

I was considering using Spotify instead of apple as my goto podcast format but I was amazed to find out you can't set hide all played podcasts as default.

So if I havent listened to the last 3 or 4 episodes of a podcast, to put them in order of oldest first, it could show hundreds of previously played episodes before the last 3 or 4.

It looks like I'll be sticking with apple until spotify rectify this

mpsspot

Yep! Hate seeing them all jumbled. 

linkJMA

Please look into allowing users to "pin" a library sorting type by default, or even better, have the app remember the user's last filter. This was a function on older versions (~March 2021), which first introduced Filters, where users could select filters for their library and what they wanted to view, but is currently removed.

The current state of the library is frustrating to use. While it can be filtered to display playlists in the "custom" order, this is an extra tap in the opposite corner of the screen. Adding extra motions to get back to what used to be a default view creates a negative user experience. Additionally, changing sorting of music is a large safety hazard - an app often used while driving now requires either extra engagement to see how Spotify has chosen to re-order their playlists today, or extra taps to get back to a familiar order.

Personally, the new library sorting is unusable to the point that I still use an old release of the app where my library opens to playlists in the order that I have set on my desktop every time. I understand wanting to allow users to explore new music in their library, but still giving users options is crucial.

Luan
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2022-01-18

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos yet. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to continue sharing it to get more kudos. Folks can still add their votes and comments in order to support it.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.