More QA and Beta Testing: Get More Customer Feedback on New & Deprecated Features

We at Reddit r/Spotify are getting very tired of Spotify ignoring us paying customers. Please change your business model because we feel that the current one ignores us way too much.

EDITED: 

1.  If community is to used then please ask before removing major features like notifications (or conduct a focus survey)   

Are deptartments in your business so siloed that decisions are made seperate from other departments and without an overall regard for user experience? 

How many years has Spotify been in business?  Yet it still feels like it's in beta and features are being added and removed as Spotify pleases with disregard to customer's feedback and outrage.  

2.  Test code more thoughroughly before releasing an update.  

Maybe agile workfolow doesn't have to be so fast and untesteted.  Hire more QA personel. 

3.  Hire more dedicated customer support personel.

It's very frustrating realizing that you can only talk to other paying customers about issues you're having and if you really want to make a fuss then you have to go to twitter.

Just a Few issues to mention as an example:

• Folower count is gone inside Desktop playlists
  • Notifications of new songs gone
  • Lyrics gone on desktop client
  • Can't interact with playlist followers
  • Inbox is buggy and takes hours for messages to show
  • No incentive to get followers or make good playlists
  • No rhyme or reason to the whole "follow process"
  • Release Notes are not out there anymore
  • Shuffle is not random
  • Notifications don't work on mobile
  • New community site design is huge step back
  • Need clearing cache option for IOS
  • Should not have click on 5 things to get to my playlists (mobile)
  • Should not have a limit to songs saved
  • "Not right now" for bringing back widely voted feature shoud not be an option
  • So many more bugs and bad decisions that take away from good customer experience, couldn't list them all. 

Updated: 2016-08-05

Hey folks, we're marking this as 'Case Closed for a number of reasons. 

Feel free to leave more feedback for individual ideas here in the Idea Exchange. Thanks

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

Completely agree. We're not your guinea pigs. We're the ones who are paying YOUR SALARY!

Let's start by fixing that notifications. Who would want to deal with push emails in 2016? LOL.

Community Legend

I definitely agree there are some good points raised in this post. However, this isn't really going to work as an idea that Spotify staff can easily respond to, so it'd be better to redirect these issues to their respective issues. Keep in mind, some issues such as the lyrics do appear to be out of Spotify's control (personally, it more looked like Musixmatch pulled the plug, not Spotify, so I'm not going to jump the gun and berate Spotify there for it)

Bring back notifications on desktop

Lyrics unavailable

Playlist followers

Release notes - marked as implemented but evidently outdated

Clear cache button request for iOS

To add onto the above, an idea to fix unsyncing playlists not freeing up space.

Please vote and comment on those threads!

Gig Goer

There's not a single version, droid, ios or desktop for any platform that isn't a bug farm. Add to that the endless loss of good features, the introduction of unwanted or broken features and the lack of basic functionality (ability to order playlists by date or alphabetically etc, the ability to search within a playlist). 

What Spotify have right now is a virtual monopoly. They're gonna need to really pull their **bleep** together if they don't want to loose huge amounts of market share to apple and other new services. I'd have left by now if there was a viable cross platform alternative...

Community Legend

@GraemeKerr what version are you referring to that doesn't let you search within a playlist? I know this feature exists at least on desktop and iOS.

Community Legend
Status changed to: Need more information

Hi @virtuaxe, thanks for the feedback. I'd like to know how you would like this post handled. As @Swanny mentioned, most of your points have been raised as specific ideas elsewhere. I'll make sure to link to all the relevant posts, and also identify which of your requests can be opened as a New Idea. 

However, it seems to me that your bigger point is that you want Spotify to change their development and rollout schedules: in short, you want new and deprecated features to go through more QA and beta testing. Spotify currently follows the Agile development model, which is part of the reason Spotify has rapid product cycles. If you want, we can open this thread as general feedback about this aspect of the Spotify service. 

Here's a list of duplicate ideas to suggestions you've made:

Bring back notifications on desktop

Lyrics unavailable

Playlist followers

Release notes (although marked as implemented, currently being monitored for continued feedback)

Clear cache button request for iOS

an idea to fix unsyncing playlists not freeing up space.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Ability-to-View-All-Playlist-Followers/idi-p/291448

Shuffle problems (although marked Implemented, feedback is still being monitored from this thread)

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Notifications-section-for-followed-Artists-releas...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Bring-back-the-warmer-green/idi-p/1153894

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Create-a-quot-clear-cache-quot-button-under-settings-iOS...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Set-Startup-Page/idi-p/1294630

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Increase-maximum-songs-allowed-in-quot-Your-Music-quot/i...

Points that can be opened as new ideas:

• incentive to get followers or make good playlists

In response to your last point, 'Not Right Now' is always going to be a necessity, as the development teams have to prioritize certain projects over others. Sometimes, this means certain ideas can't be implemented right away, even if the development teams like them. Other popular ideas (such as requests for Spotify on new platforms or in new countries) can take years to implement due to legal and licensing issues. 

Yah, Spotify decided to remove the Activity tab & notification button for me by itself, what else could I say? Learn some real-world software engineering and UX designs then get it back to work, please!

Casual Listener

as much as i'd love to think it will, this isn't going anywhere. they couldn't possibly care less about their customer base.

Community Legend

@infectedketchup well they need to have some sort of element of caring, else they wouldn't have customers 😜 the issue is it's been submitted as an idea, but that's not how the Ideas Exchange works. Would've been better submitted as a general discussion thread.

Casual Listener

@virtuaxe wrote:

We at Reddit r/Spotify are getting sick of Spotify ignoring us paying customers.  Please change your business model because we feel that the current one ignores us paying customers way too much.

Just a Few issues to mention:

• Not listening to customers
  • Shuffle is not random
  • Bring back the old green logo
  • No clearing cache option for IOS
  • Should not have limit to songs saved
  • So many more bugs and badout decisions, couldn't list them all. 

Solution:

TEST IT  AND FIX IT YOURSELF.

• Quit Relying on the community to report and be customer support. We are paying customers and not your IT / QA / Dev Team. 
  • Hire QA testing team and do your own testing before releasing bugged code.
  • Do an overhaul of your business model cuz right now it still feels like you guys are in beta version and are adding and taking away as you please despite our feedback. 

@virtuaxe wrote:

We at Reddit r/Spotify are getting sick of Spotify ignoring us paying customers.  Please change your business model because we feel that the current one ignores us paying customers way too much.

Just a Few issues to mention:

• Not listening to customers
  • Shuffle is not random
  • Bring back the old green logo
  • No clearing cache option for IOS
  • Should not have limit to songs saved
  • So many more bugs and badout decisions, couldn't list them all. 

Solution:

TEST IT  AND FIX IT YOURSELF.

• Quit Relying on the community to report and be customer support. We are paying customers and not your IT / QA / Dev Team. 
  • Hire QA testing team and do your own testing before releasing bugged code.
  • Do an overhaul of your business model cuz right now it still feels like you guys are in beta version and are adding and taking away as you please despite our feedback. 

This problem I believe is because I have heard that spotify now belongs to Virgin Media and all of their shareholder focused business models and practises are being played out here. I think that to expect things to go back to a customer focused company ethic would be foolish, wherever VM have control, I am going to cancel My subscription before I waste any more money, thats if I can find out how to (another Virgin Media trick)  

Community Legend

Hi @virtuaxe, just to clarify my earlier post, I'll need you to confirm the direction of this post. We can leave as is and move it to the Contribution board as a thread that contains general feedback, or we can edit the scope of the Idea to focus solely on your primary point (new and deprecated features should go through more QA and beta testing). However, this post isn't suitable for the Ideas board format as it currently stands, as it requests multiple (unrelated) changes to Spotify.