More QA and Beta Testing: Get More Customer Feedback on New & Deprecated Features

We at Reddit r/Spotify are getting very tired of Spotify ignoring us paying customers. Please change your business model because we feel that the current one ignores us way too much.

EDITED: 

1.  If community is to used then please ask before removing major features like notifications (or conduct a focus survey)   

Are deptartments in your business so siloed that decisions are made seperate from other departments and without an overall regard for user experience? 

How many years has Spotify been in business?  Yet it still feels like it's in beta and features are being added and removed as Spotify pleases with disregard to customer's feedback and outrage.  

2.  Test code more thoughroughly before releasing an update.  

Maybe agile workfolow doesn't have to be so fast and untesteted.  Hire more QA personel. 

3.  Hire more dedicated customer support personel.

It's very frustrating realizing that you can only talk to other paying customers about issues you're having and if you really want to make a fuss then you have to go to twitter.

Just a Few issues to mention as an example:

• Folower count is gone inside Desktop playlists
  • Notifications of new songs gone
  • Lyrics gone on desktop client
  • Can't interact with playlist followers
  • Inbox is buggy and takes hours for messages to show
  • No incentive to get followers or make good playlists
  • No rhyme or reason to the whole "follow process"
  • Release Notes are not out there anymore
  • Shuffle is not random
  • Notifications don't work on mobile
  • New community site design is huge step back
  • Need clearing cache option for IOS
  • Should not have click on 5 things to get to my playlists (mobile)
  • Should not have a limit to songs saved
  • "Not right now" for bringing back widely voted feature shoud not be an option
  • So many more bugs and bad decisions that take away from good customer experience, couldn't list them all. 

Updated: 2016-08-05

Hey folks, we're marking this as 'Case Closed for a number of reasons. 

Feel free to leave more feedback for individual ideas here in the Idea Exchange. Thanks

Comments
Roadie

Thank you for replying @blake.  I can edit this post to move the issues down below the solution section.  They are only there to serve as examples and not to be addressed here.   (I don't even see a contribution section on your site so honestly it just feels like another way for this feedback to be ignored.)

The main idea is the solution aspect:

1.  If community is to used then please ask before removing major features like notifications (or conduct a focus survey)   

Are parts of your business so siloed that decisions are made seperate from other departments and without an overall regard for user experience? 

How many years has Spotify been in business?  Yet it still feels like it's in beta and features are being added and removed as Spotify pleases with disregard to customer's feedback and outrage.  

2.  Test code more thoughroughly before releasing an update.  

Maybe agile workfolow doesn't have to be so fast and untesteted.  Hire more QA personel. 

3.  Hire more dedicated customer support personel.

It's very frustrating realizing that you can only talk to other paying customers about issues you're having and if you really want to make a fuss then you have to go to twitter.

Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2016-06-30

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search.

Casual Listener

I'm actually okay with them doing A/B testing, I just wish they would do testing that is not just removing a feature. How is removing notifications or the friend activity feed a useful A/B test, particularly if there is nothing to take their place? I have seen effective A/B testing elsewhere and this doesn't feel like it.

Also it feels like features are just not thought through completely. Take the example of the follower count for your playlists. It seems so weird I can know how many people are following my playlist, but they are entirely anonymous. Another example is searching, you can do it everywhere but the Artist list? Why?

The end result is it feels like Spotify product decisions are now being done based only on maximizing metrics that are appealing to shareholders, not making it the best listening experience for users.

Community Legend

Yeah, I have to agree with @mattaningram, A/B tests that involve removing features is not helpful at all. New features is ok, it does suck though when users in certain countries have to wait for ages to get new features (e.g. the new tab bar layout on iOS, the Home tab, the Shows feature, etc). Waiting a week or two would be good, not months!

I just don't see how the notifications feature was well thought out though. I get that the feature didn't work too well the majority of the time, but why remove it without at least replacing it with something better? Email notifications in 2016 is not cool.

Roadie

They're not going to address any of this, sadly; they simply don't care. Despite the fact that they are literally incapable of making one thin dime of profit, they don't care at all about paying customers. At best, all we'll get is their condescending little "we've decided not right now" stamp.

No me gusta la aplicacion free, es configurada para que sea un fiasco de app, y tengas que migrar a premium. 

@blake Try to be more honest and open with us, changelogs are an awesome way. Also some info about Spotify future and not just "Not Right Now" labeling on features we all really loved and used every day for months/years.

You're saying that some times the dev team is working on other stuff, and that ok, but why are you telling pretty much NOTHING on new realeses and future resleases?

Community Legend

@OmerWow I'm not a Spotify employee - I'm just a longtime forum member who helps out with classifying the Ideas board. I'm familiar with how things work around here to a certain extent (i.e., why not all ideas are accepted and immediately developed by Spotify), but I don't have any real insight into what they're working on.

Changelogs are something I very much appreciate as well: see this idea.

I agree with most of things you are propposing. However, I have to say there are some things I don't see as a problem like Shuffle buttom. It now looks perfect to me, regarding the past version of it. In my opinion, it looks perfect right now. But yeah, I don't feel the follow buttom matters, I do follow lots of artists I like and yet I don't recieve any email or message with new releases (not just unknown artists, but famous ones too, no information about releases). They really do a great job on the app, but they shouldn't take things back removing features we do need and like. They should work on better updates for it, new features... not on removals. I feel like they are trying to make us forget about it, so they don't have to bother on improving or fixing bugs on the features. I suggest if they are taking something out, they should say us why and what so far they are developping to improve it. Not just take it out saying they are working on it.

You should really bring back the lyrics to the songs, why are they gone? And when will the option be back? Also, it is not easy trying to ask a question or post a comment on your website.