Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Ability to block certain Genres

Similar to blocking an artist or certain tracks from appearing, but I want to be able to just not see anything of certain genres. I have zero interest in them, and all it does is annoy me to see them.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

It's worth mentioning that a Not interested button was recently introduced in the mobile app, which you may find intriguing, as it allows you to further improve the recommendations you get from Spotify. More info here.

Take care.

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-08-10

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

Miniry11

Need to go a step further and improve the song/band, dislike option. I hate the band "the killers", but when ever im listening to the radio station for "the black keys", songs from the killers will play.. no matter how many times i thumb down them... 

bcohoe

Some playlists are a good mix of great music containing several different genres. Perhaps there's a certain genre of music I don't like in a friend's playlist that contains other genres and songs that I enjoy. The ability to filter genres/artists/etc per playlist would be great!

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-09-21

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. This is related to the following popular idea.

glycolysis

it is very unpleasant to be caught off guard with music that one finds unappealing or worse disturbing, especially when one relies on music both to work and to relax! it certainly would be helpful if there is an option to disable/enable music genres, artists etc. it would be nice if you have better machine learning algorithm - as someone mentioned:  thumbing up and down doesn't seem to help it learn any better!

tonopoveda

To this day, is possible to block some genres?

dconsorte

Mais da metade das músicas que aparece no Paradas e Novidades é esse #lixo de #funk com letra de putaria e falando das "novinhas que batem com a bunda no pau"... afff.... Daí o cara tá de boa estudando e ouvindo uma música legal e do nada vem começa a tocar essas putarias! Eu sou assinante do Premium a dois anos, mas não tô mais afim de pagar pra ouvir esse tipo de "música"..

mich13

I'd like to block certain genres of music as well; especially on my child's account.

claytoncosta

Sometimes I give up using some spotify's features because this kind of feature is missing. I'd like to use Discover Weekly News but unfortunately many brazilian's funk and pagode are included in those lists. Please, consider implement that feature.

kevinYVR

My feed would NEVER insert gospel, christian rock, jazz, classical into my rock or chill. I should have the option to ban rap system wide! How this genre is soo pervasive boggles my mind. Nothing gets my sonos shut off quicker than rap song or song with rap in it. 

The music service that offers me this option will be the one I stay with. 

The ability to ban a genre system wide; Bring it on please.