Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Ability to block certain Genres

Similar to blocking an artist or certain tracks from appearing, but I want to be able to just not see anything of certain genres. I have zero interest in them, and all it does is annoy me to see them.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

It's worth mentioning that a Not interested button was recently introduced in the mobile app, which you may find intriguing, as it allows you to further improve the recommendations you get from Spotify. More info here.

Take care.

Comments
Papers

Spotify, how can you still not have implemented this feature? Disliking or blocking genres is a no-brainer to me. What are your reasons to force me to accept that there might still be my most hated artist in any playlist? so please let us individually select what we want to hear and what not. It's 2019 guys. There's enough wild going on in this world so please be reasonable 😉

losdude

I don't think Spotify reads these.  I can't find "friends" without using Facebook on the application, can't share playlists with my friends specifically, the "Made for you" section is importing my BUSINESS account from God knows where (Facebook?), Google Play now features several applications by Spotify Ltd. for your Android (confusing things even more), and lots more.  I'm really not trying to be a naysayer here, but blocking genres is the tip of the junk pile here.  Every time I open Spotify, I'm greeted with a lot of garbage that I not only dislike, but can't stand.  Peoples' music tastes are very personal - music conveys feeling, emotion, energy, etc.  And when a company you're PAYING to deliver you music that is personal to you puts up **bleep** that you don't want, it's slightly angering.  There's really no reason not to put this feature in, unless Spotify either (A) doesn't care - I don't believe this, or (B) doesn't have enough resources/$ to do this - I don't believe this, or (C) has some corporate political reason - I think this is likely.

In any case, maybe it's time to find another service.  I only joined Spotify because the last service (Rhapsody) didn't listen to feature requests anyway.

kresty

I think you're right that they have an ulterior motive.  I suspect that they promote music that's cheaper for them to play &/or that they're encouraged to promote.

In which case, I'd appreciate it if they'd just say "no, we're never going to do this" - but of course they won't because then I'd try to find a competitor.

Brianne5

Related - allow users to accept or block related genres from appearing in recommendations. I have a number of genres of music that I love, and there are adjacent genres that I would like to never appear.

For example, I love musicals and broadway, but I hate acapella. I love acoustic pop music when it's originals, but I hate acoustic covers. Love piano only instrumental songs, but don't like guitar only instrumental songs. 

soul7aker

Yes please, this is an awesome idea!!

GiovaBx

Why do not implement this idea? 

My home is full of unwanted suggestion and music genres. 

I don't bother what it is cool to listen now (for instance trap, reggeton) or other music that i never listen.

I'd like to simply hide them. 

run-GB

Yeah - agree 100% (Block RAP !)

Melody
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2020-01-13

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Ideas Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this.
For that reason, we'll close this now.

If we do have any new information to share rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.
Thanks 

ferkjl

Very much like the mobile functionality of "Don't play this" artist, I would love to have the option to "Don't play this genre", and consequently to never see recommendations in any playlist that contain said genre, e.g. "Top Hits" from my country, or any other Spotify-created playlists that match that genre. 

This may be enough of an explanation, but in case it's not: if I mark "Hip-hop" as a "Don't play this" genre, I would not only exclude all hip-hop songs from any playlists I'm currently playing, but it would also prevent my Home displaying "RapCaviar" as a recommended playlist in the "Music to stay up to date" feed. 

I believe this would significantly improve the quality of recommendations.

ferkjl

Glad to see the idea is starting to catch on.  I would suggest anyone who would like to see the feature to also make a small comment about why you like it, so the thread gets a more visibility and more people have a chance to see it.