Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Ability to block certain Genres

Similar to blocking an artist or certain tracks from appearing, but I want to be able to just not see anything of certain genres. I have zero interest in them, and all it does is annoy me to see them.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

It's worth mentioning that a Not interested button was recently introduced in the mobile app, which you may find intriguing, as it allows you to further improve the recommendations you get from Spotify. More info here.

Take care.

Comments
kresty

Spotify's computer emailed me to ask if my question had been solved. Yea, right.

Groove shutting down sent me here.  Maybe Spotify should learn something from how Groove used to select their music.  *way* better.

Ludo91

Any updates on this, Spotify? I also have this issue, many of the playlists and radios are pushing pop content which I extremely dislike. I can hardly find playlists without pop music (you know, the songs that are pitched with autotune and sound all the same). It would be really nice to have this kind of a filter, it would make Spotify much more a likeable service to me. 

rhemfur

I'm with You, I don't want Brazilian Funk on my Spotify

VenterraZero

Greetings,
I would realy like a filtersystem for certain genres.

It would be genius if it would support white- and blacklist filters.
Short explanation what I mean:

Whitlist: Only Genres / Artists / Languages on this list can be shown in autogenerated lists.

Blacklist: Literaly everything else exept the Genres / Artists / Language on this list can be shown in autogenerated lists.

Oh and by the way, it would be wonderfull when the filtersystem wouldn't be limited to one genre.

Additional to that it would be realy nice when you allow filters for genre, artists and languages.

I know this reads like a wishlist for santa.

But letting your miraclous algorithm handle music suggestions does'nt work as well as you seem to think.

I am an Rock and Metal fan and the last thing on earth I want to hear is a rap song. Twice a Week I get annoyed with exact that genre.
And in addition to that now Languages I am not listening to keep poping up. Every week.

So please let the user handle what they want to hear.

Thanks for Reading

lauroaraujo

Please give some attention to this. If you can't implement blocking (I'm gonna give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not an easy issue to solve), please at least tune the content for your users. The first thing I see whenever I open spotify is a long row of playlists of music that I never listen to and a lot that I find offensive (the "Browse" view).

Only 3 out of 13 lists has anything remotely related to what I listen, and 7 out of 13 are genres that I absolutely hate (and obviously never listen). The first thing I do is to quickly change to some playlist I have, just to not have to deal with such a bad home page full of content I can't stand. It may look like a minor detail, but every day it reinforces the assossiation of all I dislike in music with your brand.

It may sound dramatic, but every day I open Spotify, see these playlists, and then I think "When will a good alternative to Spotify come to Brazil?".

Please, either let us block genres, or make use of the data you have to offer relevant content.

Terezacris
Gostaria muito de proibir o funk, com certeza não quero ouvir funk brasileiro. Por favor nos dê esta opção de escolher melhor o que ouvir, urgente.
RapHater

They re Just putting random rap songs into great spotify lists. This Will be the coolest feature. 

kresty

Hey, spotify, do I need to find a different service?

Don't include stuff that I don't like.  It's not that hard, you know what I listen to and what I skip.

I feel like Spotify either doesn't care, or maybe that rights for some music is cheaper so they just throw it into my mix just because.

e564145

I agree.  I want to eliminate rap and hip hop from everything.  It's not music.  When I'm painting a room and can't touch my phone, the last thing I want to hear is "yo.... yo.... uhhh.... yo..."

g33kn1k

yes, it would be greatfull if we could block some genres that we never will listen to.