[Music] Better Volume Normalization - normalize local files

"set the same volume level for all songs" in spotify, does not take into account the subtle volume transients of an album that audio engineers have spent hours working on!

Solution - Add an option in settings for "Set The Same Volume Level Based On Albums". This will retain the intended volume differences between songs on an album (similar to the way replaygain album mode functions).

"Set The Same Volume Level Based On Albums"(replaygain album mode) DESIGNED TO RETAIN THE SUBTLE VOLUME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TRACKS ON AN ALBUM)

This solution is extremely quick for spotify developers to implement - Just take the individual track volume values in an album and you already have this information due to your "set the same volume level for all tracks", then get the average of these track volumes for that album and the result is your per album volume reduction value! Albums will finally sound like albums again.
IN THE FUTURE - When you select "set the same volume for all albums" then it should also read the metadata in your personal music files (when the tag is present). The Name of this tag in my mp3 and flac collection is "REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN".

"Set The Same Volume Level For All Tracks" - (replaygain track mode) BEST FOR SHUFFLE MODE, OR LISTENING TO LOTS OF RANDOM SONGS)

Spotify already has "Set the same volume level for all tracks" in settings for songs that are streamed, which is the equivalent to replaygain track mode. This currently only works for streamed songs and it doesn't check to see if the tag "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" is present in your local audio file that you're currently listening to, a very simple fix indeed. 

DISABLED MODE = NOTHING TICKED.

When unticking "set the same volume for all albums" and "set the same volume for all tracks", all streamed and local music should not play with any volume adjustment on either streamed or library tracks, it is exactly the same effect as disabling "set the same volume for all tracks" that we currently have. There are many reasons for needing to turn of volume normalization (such as troubleshooting volume problems etc). Replaygain volume adjustments should be fully lossless when your dac is 24 bit.

Note to spotify - By using metadata, this should be totally seamless - E.g. If the exact same album is streamed, then local files should play at precisely the same volume as streamed files.

IF EITHER TAG IS MISSING FROM METADATA - "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" or "REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN" then spotify should not make any volume adjustment and it should produce the same result as having album mode or track mode not TICKED.

When installing spotify, the default should still be set to "set same volume for all tracks" like it it just now

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

We're checking back in, to keep you updated on this Idea.

When you play an album, we normalize the loudness level of that album at the same time.
If you're interested in some further info on this, we'd recommend checking out this FAQ, which we currently have up for artists.

We also have some more information on Audio Settings here.
Under Music Quality, you can switch Normalize volume on, or off.

Right now however, it's not possible to normalize local files. For that reason, we're changing this to case closed, as this isn't something we're going to work on.

Thanks.

Comments
Ourpizzaworks

Completely agree. Waste a lot of time adjusting volume not to irritate my guests 

Hazywaze
Regular

Interesting thread. Spotify--at least let us know the result of your internal discussion of this.  If the answer is "We won't do anything" at least tell us.

borkaadam
Casual Listener

Our prayers have been answered. 🙂

Today the good news:

http://productionadvice.co.uk/spotify-reduced-loudness/

Thank You Spotify 🙂

andrewklimek
Fantastic, thank you!
66meyers
Regular

I’m still experiencing volume spikes when I switch Anker Bluetooth speakers. iPhone shows 3 bars but music is playing at 7. Anyone else?

#2 Music Radio playback is stopping for no reason I know of. 

kenoodler

This is a major problem for me. There are times when I have to check to see if the song is playing... and other times when I have to sprint to the amplifier and turn it down before neighbors are knocking. Not good! I'm not talking about "quiet passages" in a piece.

LasseG

how do i get thesystem to rememer my volume setting? the volume reverts to some redicuolus gindergatrten US layer specified setting, and i takes hours pressing the volume button to getting it back to adult Euruopean litstening volume...

EarHax
Regular

As an audio professional, I can testify that Spotify is still using compression/limiting on songs - even with the app's output volume at around 70%, and the "Set the same volume level" option disabled - which would suggest that songs are being encoded with dynamics processing applied.

I became painfully aware of this issue, frequently noticing pumping or clipping/distortion on a number of songs I listen to on Spotify (despite the recent -14dB LUFS loudness adjutment), and inconsistent volume/quality levels when comparing versions of the same song appearing on more than one album from the same artist, knowing that the track is digitally identical on the CDs (having compared both versions elsewhere), and comparing Spotify tracks with my local copies.

I went digging for answers, found the volume normalization setting, and turned it off (until it works better, anyway). But I'm still not sure this has made any difference, since my observations suggest otherwise.

I sincerely hope the limiting/compression Spotify uses will soon be removed, and replaced with basic RMS or peak loudness normalization, and give users the option to make the adjustment based on all tracks on an album, or on all songs individually, so that songs' playback volumes will simply be adjusted up or down based on their overall LUFS level, or the overall LUFS level of the album they are on. Either method would still leave song dynamics intact.

With the proper LUFS metering and loudness level, there should be sufficient headroom to balance song volume levels while still avoiding clipping. And in cases where a song is mostly very quiet, yet occasionally has some very loud peaks, it would be better to use peak normalization to avoid clipping rather than using compression/limiting or RMS normalization. Better to leave intentionally dynamic material alone (with some of it sounding really quiet, and other parts being really loud), than to add compression/limiting and ruin the way the song sounds dynamically. 

I don't mind having all of the louder songs I listen to turned down a bit to lower their loudness level. But when I hear quieter or mode dynamic songs in my library being slammed into a subpar compression/hard limiting algorithm, not only is it bothersome and distracting, but at times it even makes me feel a bit uneasy, dizzy, or nauseated. I have very sensitive hearing, and odd SPL fluctuations (specifically in music) often cause me to experience an uncomfortable physical sensation similar to falling, or the feeling one experiences just before losing consciousness when being administered general anesthesia.

camillo75
Community Legend

Hi,
Very nice analysis!
I think that also some devices make some sort of volume normalisation, you should check all the chain (but you are for sure more expert than me).
For example listening to Spotify on Sonos speakers, for rock/metal music (in particular ballads) of different albums and artists I notice very very big differences in volume and I have to turn up and down volume and it is very annoying.

Still have not figured out if it is a Spotify or Sonos problem.

I would like to have a volume normalisation option (compression) like in the FM radio broadcasting, at least to keep the same level but do not know who to ask.

Camillo

S_a_l_a_d

Too bad this hasn't been reconsidered.