[Music Content] Enable to filter some "music" styles / genres

Taste in music are like taste in food. Someone will love rap and hate rock'n roll. For example : I love rock, but I think rap is just **bleep**, not a music style. But it's my own opinion.

Why have I to suffer from suggestions about rap, that' so totally inefficient, will never listen, and why the other person have to suffer rock suggestions, which he will never listen ?

The killer feature for me is to be able to filter some styles of music in personal settings.

Like a "forbid which kind of music ?" with a list of styles allowed or not allowed...

So after Spotify can do better suggestions. Better suggestions, better customers satisfaction rate, so more users and more fidelity from them.

Updated: 2016-04-19

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Ability-to-block-certain-Genres/idi-p/1415644

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
koraykupe
Roadie

Unfortunetely, Spotify is based on readymade playlists. Featured playlists have songs that various genres but i want to see only stuff that i like on Browse, New releases, top playlists etc. I don't like Spotify because of this reasons but i use it because its archive is best at the moment. Spotify is just a music collection for me. Radios are bad. New releases sections are useless. Featured playlists are irrelevant in general.

Search and find your music everytime. Spend lots of time to discover true music for you. Too bad!

It'd be great if Spotify was a better fully personalized app.

If you use Desktop Mac app i recommend Denied app for you. Give it a try. It skips songs/artists/repeatative songs on radios by rules.

rednblu
Roadie

You have to do manually all of these things you describe-- with workarounds.

As # koraykupe says above "Spotify is based on readymade playlists."  Sorry to say, this "Idea" forum is dysfunctional-- because nothing worth your while ever comes from program Development any more.  All the power users that value the kind of "filtering" you suggest are on Spotify only "because its archive is best at the moment"  (quoting #koraykupe above).

So you have to create your own "readymade playlists" with workarounds.

For example, have you tried to make your own huge filtered playlists-- around 9,000 tracks-- that you can combine in Folders?  You can look under >> rednblu << at my Public playlists that I combine in a huge "Playlist Folder".  Whenever I hear a track that I want to "filter" as you say it, I simply apply the workaround of Deleting that track, artist, or album from the playlists in my huge Folder.

You might assemble your huge filtered playlists by using the Ctrl-L "Search function"-- putting all of your Deletes and Filters in a string of NOTs.

Accordingly, if you want to filter all the "Judy Collins" tracks for the "good songs by your own preferences", you might put into your Search string the following.

Judy Collins NOT Christ* NOT "Amazing Grace" NOT karaoke NOT tribute

You can capture the string by Ctrl-L, Ctrl-C -- then you can store that reusable string in a system file-- and just replace "Judy Collins" with whatever you want to filter.  Notice that you can filter two artists at the same time by

"Judy Collins" OR "Leonard Cohen" NOT . . . .

There is a special workaround for getting the resulting display from your "Search" into a Playlist-- but everything worthwhile has to be done in workarounds currently in Spotify-- because there is zero User Interface to Spotify by modern standards.

Of course, I am assuming that you are using a working 0.9.x Desktop version of your preference-- with the Spotify "automatic updates" blocked-- because all of the 1.x.x versions lack the usable workarounds such as I have described here.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Need more information
Updated: 2015-04-20

Hello @MathRobin !
Before we can give your idea a correct status, could you please clarify it a bit more?
Your idea's description suggests that you want to have a genre filter for the ads you're receiving, is that right?

I'm asking because the comments to your idea seem to go in a totally different way.

MathRobin
Casual Listener

Yes exactly.

Imagine. Eminem is rap music. Metallica is metal. David Guetta is electro. To simplify.

So, in my opinion (and only mine, don't know about others), rap is not music. Spotify is able to know similar artists, maybe thanks to the music style. If we could say "ok, please spotify, don't show me these styles : rap, r&b, hip-hop", for example. It's a genre filter indeed.

Do you understand better ?

It's really boring to have the top 50 rap artists, plus the last album of black eyed peas as the first 2 suggestions when you don't like this kind of sound. I prefer to have the last rock bestof or the top 50 of mozart instead of.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-04-21

Marked as new idea and edited it slightly to make it a bit clearer and easier to find via search.
You might also want to add your kudos to a similar idea about a custom Browse section here.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2016-04-19

Update: This idea has been submitted again here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Ability-to-block-certain-Genres/idi-p/1415644

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!