Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Crossfade when skipping Tracks

Hello, I don't know if idea has been suggested before but I couldn't find anything like it.

So, when you're currently playing an track and suddenly decides to switch song in the middle of it, it gives a very "sharp" transition.

My idea is to, just as the "Crossfade Track" option, to crossfade tracks even if you decide to switch in the middle of the song.

My main "Inspiration?" for this idea is partys. Everyone been through it and it happens pretty much every party. People starting to switch tracks every 10th second and it's just straight out annoying.

I think a crossfade would solve this problem, half-way at least.

Thanks for reading! 

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
Rocio
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

SpotifyOne

I am a DJ and also a computer enthousiast (the last is also my profession, since I am a system administrator) and I really like Spotify.

I will not publish my real name on this forum but I would if  Spotify was not linked to Facebook (you can guess which part of the Facebook/Spotify account I use and which not).

I really really want the crossfade between tracks when skipping from one track to another.

Only when this is possible Spotify will become a serious tool for DJ's.

We are all waiting for it to happen soon.

Other DJ functionallity is also welcome but this kind of functionallity would be a real breaktrough for DJ's.

Meanwhile I might connect 2 computers with soundcards  running Spotify to my  (hardware) mixing device and use that for crossfading.

Please add this functionality so we can use just one computer (and one account).

Luke1322

I'm dying for this at parties.  Even if it meant a delay in crossfaading if the app would need a few seconds to load enough of the next track, this would be an enormous improvement over the way the crossfade function currently works.  The whole point is to be able to make a smooth transition when what you're listening to isn't quite the right thing anymore, but the sharp stop to silence is never the right thing at a party.

vanbrayne

Agree completely!

I have used Spotify on my iPhone at a couple of private dance parties the last weekends. I have relied heavily on the Add to playlist feature and the Crossfade feature. As long as the songs where played to the end the crossfade worked well, but as others have pointed out, often I wanted to change track before it had ended. I would have loved if "Skip to next track" had done a crossfade to the next song, even if that would have meant waiting a couple of seconds before the track was actually changed.

I was about to enter this as my first suggestion, but Laderlappen was WAY ahead of me. 🙂

Couldn't "Kudos" this suggestion enough!! I think alot of people have been waiting for this since the introduction of cross-fade to spotify, cause the whole idea of cross-fade is to remove the abrupt silence when switching songs.

docwisdom

apple does a great job of this if you switch apps on the iphone that use audio. Like if you are playing the ipod then decide to go to the podcasts app, or even if you get a phone call. the music fades out and the new music/call fades in 

implementing this same functionality to spotify would make it much more enjoyable.

RobGoldy

Whenever I have people over dancing, it is necessary to keep the mood going. When I change out of a 6 minute song at around the 4 minute mark, the tracks don't fade and it ruins the transition. 

My request is very simple; it is to have the cross-fade activate whenever the next song button is pressed. This idea would make Spotify better than hiring DJ's. 

Thanks!

David

But all those poor DJ's would go hungry! 

Condog64

This is an excellent idea! I would have never thought ot it but I like it a low and I hope we get it sometime in the future!

DJ_Roksor

At a party a DJ will pitch a track to make sure it fits the tempo of the other track, than he'll make sure they are in sinc. If the program will simply crossfade 2 tracks will sound horrable.