[Music] Global / Collaborative Tagging System

Many times I have been listening to my Spotify main playlist on shuffle, and have had to skip through plenty of music to get to something appropriate for my mood or current situation.  One can, of course, manually create playlists, however to create a playlist out of your own several thousand songs to fit every mood would be a tedious and time-consuming task.  What I propose instead is a collaborative community-wide song tagging system that would work something like this:

1. Spotify appends very general tags to each artist (or allows artists to tag their genre when submitting music) much like the pre-sorted playlists that it already releases.  For example, "Fader," by "The Temper Trap," would be auto-tagged "Indie-Pop" as is their stated genre.
  2. When a user adds "Fader" their playlist they can either keep or remove the "Indie-Pop" tag, and add tags of their own.  These tags could be preformatted by Spotify and/or user generated (I would suggest user-generated to start).  "Fader" could have tags added to it such as "Rock," "Upbeat," "Summer," "Roadtrip," etc.
  3. Spotify notices that the user has several songs labeled "Roadtrip" and suggests that they create a playlist for that tag.  They select "Yes," and all of those songs are automatically grouped into a new streamlined roadtrip playlist (this could, at some point, go deeper by combining songs with multiple tags, such as both "Summer" and "Roadtrip" for example, to create a "Going To The Beach" playlist).
  4. Spotify notices that several thousand people have tagged "Fader" as an "Upbeat" song, and now includes that as a standard removable tag, like "Indie-Pop" was in step one above.
  5. Now users get a vastly improved playlist experience, but this is also where the benefit comes in for Spotify.  As users create custom tags and add larger amounts to songs, Spotify gets to know all of its users more intimately than it ever could before, making it's music suggestions and radio more accurate in real time.  

In this scenario the overall community becomes a truly interwoven and communicative environment where data sharing is more meaningful than simply exchanging songs with other users.  Thank you for your consideration!

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-12-03

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
djmikeystrange
Roadie

I would love for Spotify to implement a custom tagging solution.  Much like what Last.FM does.  People could tag a song with whatever they want.  As a user, I could view a Cloud Tag to see the all of the more popular tags.  At the same time, I can view/browse music based on MY tags.

Tags have become a universal way to organize pictures and email and it makes sense for music as well.  This would be a game changer for spotify!

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated: 2015-12-09

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

You might also want to add your kudos to an idea about personal tags here.

paulbustahh
Casual Listener

@Marco, Thank you very much for the information and the reply!  For some reason that post didn't appear when I searched for it, but I am glad that it is on its way to becoming reality.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-12-03

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!