Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Local FLAC Playback

A member of spotify team said to separate the FLAC idea post, into FLAC local playback and FLAC streaming. Someone else can create a FLAC streaming post, as I'm only after local playback. The original post with the 2 ideas in one post is here.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Flac-on-Spotify-at-least-playback-of-your-own-flac/idi...

Vote for this post if you want LOCAL PLAYBACK OF FLAC FILES ONLY.

WHY WE NEED SPOTIFY TO PLAY OUR FLAC COLLECTION
Spotify already plays ALAC, all be it with stability problems, but what we really need is local FLAC playback because FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless audio encoding. 7digital has recently started selling FLAC yet spotify can't play them. Why not???

http://www.7digital.com/find-music/7digital-recommends/flac

The most commercially successful band on the planet (The Beatles), have released official remastered versions of all albums in 24bitFLAC format on a usb device.

http://www.everythingusb.com/the-beatles-stereo-usb-limited-edition-17961.html

Numerous bands have sold albums in FLAC format through their websites. FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless encoding, so please start supporting local playback of FLAC.

Another idea that is important to me is fixing the appalling "set the same volume level for all tracks", which doesn't take into account the subtle volume transients of an album that audio engineers spend hours working on. The following volume normalization method retains the intended volume differences as part of the album.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/VOLUME-NORMALIZATION-IN-SPOTIFY-DAMAGES-INTEGRITY-OF-T...

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange and sharing your feedback.

We're happy to inform you that this is now possible, so you can enjoy your local FLAC files through Spotify! Make sure to add them to Your Library, if you haven't already.

Thanks again for making Spotify better!

Comments
Alexalder
We are talking about flac local playback, not streaming a la Tidal. And difference between ogg 320 and flac is NOT immediately noticeable, stop being branwashed and spreading bull**bleep**, thanks

kbl4711

I am neither brainwashed nor am I spreading bull**bleep**, it certainly depends on the gear whether the difference is noticable or not. For me the difference is clearly noticable if I listen to music playing from my Accuphase gear with Stax headphones.  For me a Tidal account is worth paying a premium but would prefer to have that as additional Spotify service (as streaming service like Tidal).

Thanks

THIS IS STUPID>

I WANT TO PLAY MY DOWNLOADED FILES (FLAC) ON SPOTIFY

bugsnoffer

FLAC is the best way to record your CD's and I can easily tell the difference between that an mp3

Please add FLAC playback support for local files, its a free codec 

Scutshakes

Spotty definitely needs to work on FLAC compatibility for local files. How many years until they realize how common FLAC really is?

And it doesn't matter if someone is able to tell the difference or not; it's the principle. Thousands of thousands of people own FLAC files and it's not practical to use an entirely separate music player just to play them when you already have most of your other music on Spotify.

krishehl

Apple Music will be able to play almost all high quality music formats locally most likely since iTunes can.

Tidal las lossless music (1411kbps)

Google Music you can import almost any song format locally like WMV, WAV, AAC, FLAC. The only issue as of now they get converted to 320kbps MP3s most of the time.

Spotify just at the very least let us upload songs from our CDs locally for the full kbps. Don't let a small service like Tidal beat you in quality. 

heyspotify

Before discussing about flac, spotify should really add a very simple menu setting for mobile users to turn off the forced volume normalisation. 
The compressor used for both desktop and mobile spotify reduces dynamics, clarity and sound quality to a quite high extent. Even users who just pay average attention to quality with reasonably priced headphones (30-50€) can easily tell the difference.

For 2-3 weeks I've only listened to "compressed" music with my android phone, and now listening to the same songs on my desktop (disabled loudness setting) I became aware that the quality reduction by the loudness setting is much much higher than I expected 😞

Alexalder
There is no normalization on my iPhone, all the classical rock songs are
so low in volume

krishehl
Do you mean, "Set the same volume for all tracks"?? I want to test this out!!
heyspotify

krishehl, 

yes thats what I meant - just forgot the exact name on spotify.

Alexander are you sure ? Even wtih enabled volume normalisation dynamic old records e.g. from the 80s will still have a slightly lower volume in comparison to a random 2015 song.

The difference in the average volume should be tremendous when the "set same volume for all tracks" is turned off.