[Music] Local FLAC Playback

A member of spotify team said to separate the FLAC idea post, into FLAC local playback and FLAC streaming. Someone else can create a FLAC streaming post, as I'm only after local playback. The original post with the 2 ideas in one post is here.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Flac-on-Spotify-at-least-playback-of-your-own-flac/idi...

Vote for this post if you want LOCAL PLAYBACK OF FLAC FILES ONLY.

WHY WE NEED SPOTIFY TO PLAY OUR FLAC COLLECTION
Spotify already plays ALAC, all be it with stability problems, but what we really need is local FLAC playback because FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless audio encoding. 7digital has recently started selling FLAC yet spotify can't play them. Why not???

http://www.7digital.com/find-music/7digital-recommends/flac

The most commercially successful band on the planet (The Beatles), have released official remastered versions of all albums in 24bitFLAC format on a usb device.

http://www.everythingusb.com/the-beatles-stereo-usb-limited-edition-17961.html

Numerous bands have sold albums in FLAC format through their websites. FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless encoding, so please start supporting local playback of FLAC.

Another idea that is important to me is fixing the appalling "set the same volume level for all tracks", which doesn't take into account the subtle volume transients of an album that audio engineers spend hours working on. The following volume normalization method retains the intended volume differences as part of the album.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/VOLUME-NORMALIZATION-IN-SPOTIFY-DAMAGES-INTEGRITY-OF-T...

Updated on 2017-10-31

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. We really appreciate it. In the interest of full disclosure, we’d like to share with you the status of this request.

This was a popular request, so we thought long and hard about it. However, we’ve taken the decision not to pursue FLAC playback as we believe the time and effort it would take to implement such a fundamental change would be better spent developing other areas of the service. As a result, we’ve marked this idea as “Case Closed”.

We appreciate your understanding and hope you’ll agree that some of the cool features we’re currently working on will vindicate our decision. Please keep those ideas and requests coming! Together we can make Spotify the best it can be.

Comments

This would definitely be great to have... I rip most of my music as FLAC. 

I also would like to vote for local flac playback.

I have a Sonos setup and have all my physical cd ripped into flac and saved on my pc (soon to be NAS) which I can play using my android (sonos) controller. (and you can tell the difference between the streamed spotify and the local FLAC)

But when I want to listen on my pc I cant use the spotify client and have to use a different program.  (I can however play the very few MP3s and they tend to be songs I'm not that interested in re ripping to flac).

Please consider enabling FLAC from local sources.

E

This is needed in spotify.

Music Fan

I would absolutely love to have local FLAC file playback... I have a wonderful audio setup and it would just allow me to really use spotify for my all in one media playback...  

Casual Listener

I seen that myself. although Neil Young isn't uncommon lol. Every album he ever does soars in the rock charts and as a result, that's why he's got the $millions and the balls to do this thing. Neil Young's got friends in high places and he's struck deals with the major labels for the forthcoming FLAC music store. The service ain't out yet although I'm keeping an eye on it.

On paper the player he's worked on looks pretty good (it can play back up to 24bit - 192khz FLAC files - these files are MASSIVE in file size though (e.g. CD's are only 44.1khz).

to qoute from the website. "The PonoMusic Store uses FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) audio format as its standard, for compatibility, although the PonoPlayer can play most popular high-resolution music formats from other sources.  PonoMusic has a quality spectrum, ranging from really good to really great, depending on the quality of the available master recordings:

•    CD lossless quality recordings: 1411 kbps (44.1 kHz/16 bit) FLAC files 
•    High-resolution recordings: 2304 kbps (48 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files
•    Higher-resolution recordings: 4608 kbps (96 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files 
•    Ultra-high resolution recordings: 9216 kbps (192 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files"

http://www.ponomusic.com/

Some of the lyrics in the first song, on the album "Psychedelic Pill" by Neil Young (the album came number 2 on the US top rock album charts).

"I'm driftin' back

Don't want my mp3

Don't want my mp3

I'm driftin' back

When you hear my song now
You only get five percent
You used to get it all

Blocking out my anger
Blocking out my thoughts"

I'm glad we're not the only ones that hate compressed music.

Hey guys, check out www.classicsonlinehd.com. It is already possible to stream lossless and even high-res on cellular. The folks at OraStream run this site using fine-grained adaptive streaming and has been around for more than 3 years
Regular
There is no normalization on my iPhone, all the classical rock songs are
so low in volume

With 20 pages of comments since 2012 I am sure that I am not expressing anyting that has not already been said, but for at least the last year I have been ripping my collection and any new items exclusively in FLAC, so my local library is increasingly unplayable by the Spotify app.  Of course this causes me to invest more time in other players and playlists and not use the Spotify app.  I am a paid subscriber and so you already have my money, but it would seem that keeping the "free" users in your app and attracting advertising dollars would be beneficial and fit the Spotify business plan.  As a paid/premium subscriber I will probably jump ship if there is an alternative service that offers high quality streaming AND local FLAC playback (along side MP3 and the other popular formats).