Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Local FLAC Playback

A member of spotify team said to separate the FLAC idea post, into FLAC local playback and FLAC streaming. Someone else can create a FLAC streaming post, as I'm only after local playback. The original post with the 2 ideas in one post is here.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Flac-on-Spotify-at-least-playback-of-your-own-flac/idi...

Vote for this post if you want LOCAL PLAYBACK OF FLAC FILES ONLY.

WHY WE NEED SPOTIFY TO PLAY OUR FLAC COLLECTION
Spotify already plays ALAC, all be it with stability problems, but what we really need is local FLAC playback because FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless audio encoding. 7digital has recently started selling FLAC yet spotify can't play them. Why not???

http://www.7digital.com/find-music/7digital-recommends/flac

The most commercially successful band on the planet (The Beatles), have released official remastered versions of all albums in 24bitFLAC format on a usb device.

http://www.everythingusb.com/the-beatles-stereo-usb-limited-edition-17961.html

Numerous bands have sold albums in FLAC format through their websites. FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless encoding, so please start supporting local playback of FLAC.

Another idea that is important to me is fixing the appalling "set the same volume level for all tracks", which doesn't take into account the subtle volume transients of an album that audio engineers spend hours working on. The following volume normalization method retains the intended volume differences as part of the album.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/VOLUME-NORMALIZATION-IN-SPOTIFY-DAMAGES-INTEGRITY-OF-T...

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange and sharing your feedback.

We're happy to inform you that this is now possible, so you can enjoy your local FLAC files through Spotify! Make sure to add them to Your Library, if you haven't already.

Thanks again for making Spotify better!

Comments
MJankowski
Hur mar du? Yes! I am waiting for this! My entire collection is encoded
.FLAC with specific naming convention. Just make it happen! Make det verker.

Tack så mycket,
Mike
badkiz

Switch from various china freeware music app to spotify premium. (Was hoping i could have stable high quality source to download music)
Extremely disappointed by the spotify services and app quality.
Come on. Spotify is such a big company. Why allow so many minor tiny issues remained unfix and let it spoil our user experience. 
Why desktop spotify interface cant even do a simple drag and drop on music files. In contrast to my 10 years+ old music player still working fine.(was ran at window xp, now still working in window 10) 

I cant believe creating a mixture of online song and local song playlist can be so tedious in spotify.
Try to sync local songs into my iphone 7 is killing me as well. 
Added music folder into spotify library. end up a lot loseless files cannot be recognize by spotify. (com'on, if it need extra codec, prompt it to user like what other application did, don't just keep quiet and wait for user to google it.) 
Have to do a stupid conversion using ANOTHER app, which in this case i use my 10 years+++ old music app to achieve it. Once again, Spotify did a good job to amazed me.

After successfully added all my favourite songs into spotify desktop, time to go for synch to my lovely iphone.
I'm really glad that i DID NOT spent whole night try to sort out my songs into various playlist, for first 5 minutes, spotify in iphone does show try to synch 1K+ over songs in total. (After i re-install it)
BUT, after awhile i noticed the total songs to synch dropped to 6xx without telling user whats going on.
Waited the whole process end, only partial playlist is synch and a lot songs are still grey out. 
Even restart also wont continue for the greyed out part. Extremely pissed off for whatever "advance logic" behind this app.

And those local songs that successfully synched into phone, will somehow disappear due to whatever unknown reason. Could be never online for sometimes? Could be accidentally moved the files which LOCATED in desktop? I dont know what the **bleep** is going on behind it. This spotify is not meant for human use.

(i used to feedback to those china freeware music app when i spot the flaws/improvements and they did get it fixed/implemented, it does show great respect to user)

bloritsch

Since the Spotify app can't play CDs or FLAC, I can't listen to music I already purchased legally.  I wish I could have one tool to manage my music library, and stream good content.  I thought I'd give Spotify a try, but I'm quite disapointed in what should not be a terribly difficult integration.  Microsoft's Groove Music plays them, but I was also hoping not to have all my eggs in one basket again (*cough* iTunes *cough*).

ewand

I was looking to convert from Groove Music Pass (where the Groove app seamlessly mixes between locally-held music and streamed - in some cases, too seamlessly as it's not always easy to see if you're playing local or streaming)... but I may have to reconsider and cancel my Spotify Premium trial, in favor of renewing my Groove Music Pass.

The reason? I have a lot of legally purchased CD content which I've ripped to FLAC, including some multi-channel stuff from DVD-A. I want to play back all my music in one place.

Groove let me mix between local playback, stuff that I'd put on OneDrive, and Musc Pass sourced content. I wanted to do the same with Spotify, but can't as the Spotify desktop player won't allow me to playback FLAC files...

Why can't Spotify just use native OS playback capabilities? Windows already knows how to playback FLAC, so why not just hand off to that codec? 

krux77

+1 for FLAC support in local files. I can't believe this is not yet implemented.. not everything is on spotify so this is def needed. Please dont tell me to re-encode my FLAC library to a lossy format. Transcoding for mobile use is acceptable though if need be (via adding to playlist and sync to mobile).

charlygirola

That would be nice! I have a lot of phisical CDs, backed up into FLAC for easier playback. If Spotify can support this, I will use it a lot (the only reason for importing local files IMO).

I'm using Plex right now, which is fine for movies, but I feel Spotify is a nicer music player.

stilup

Hurry the Flac up

jonathonpopplet

In my opinion, providing local flac playback support on spotify  would be a way of giving something back to the linux community (in this case the user base). I know you guys don't offically support a linux client anymore but somebody is a doing a good job on the Linux client as works well in Fedora 25.  Thanks http://negativo17.org/spotify-client/

nicholasbg

This is crazy you guys, 75% of my local collection is FLAC. The codec is totally free to implement in your software. What's holding you back?

b411313

5 years has past. "Not right now" is just BULL**bleep**! They will never fix it as they like to show us the finger... This service is not about quality, only quantity and promoting luciferianmusic 😞

and yeah, making as much money as possible by doing absolutley nothing... Hense this community that they never or rarely visit or help people on. The users are doing their job for them. And if you happen to have a problem that HAS to be solved by spotify employee, I say Good luck!!