Announcements

[Music] Option to disable Videos in curated Playlists

Videos are a great media, however they should not be included in curated playlists. It is distracting to listeners that drive with Spotify, or put it on in the background at work. Also, are these videos downloaded when users make a playlist available offline? If yes, this may take up too much space. If no, this will eat data without an option to avoid them.

Updated on 2021-07-13

Hey folks,

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this idea - We really appreciate it! 

This has been discussed internally multiple times now and while we would like to look into this, it's not currently on our radar.

That doesn't mean the door is completely closed, though. Even in a Closed state we'll still be tracking this idea and its votes.

Should anything change, we will make sure to post an update, but we also want to be transparent about what we are and what we aren't working on.

Thanks for understanding, and please keep those ideas and requests coming! Together we can make Spotify the best it can be.

Comments
someericsmith

Yeah it's crazy that this can't be disabled. It presumably takes up unnecessary data -- when I'm listening on my phone, I'm not interested in watching the video of the song I just heard. And more than anything, if I'm listening to a curated playlist, I don't want keep hearing the same song twice in a row.

shaggyt123

I agree with everyone else. There needs to be an option to disable this otherwise I'm going to have to switch to another service.

theb1gone

Never posted here, but I felt the need to do so now for the first time. Having music videos in these playlists is a **bleep**ing atrosity. Mobile users get double whammy'd with high data usage. I have used spotify for several years, however I will uninstalling both the desktop and mobile applications today. I'm trying to listen to music while driving and have to keep fumbling with my phone to skip through music videos. This is one of the worst ideas I've seen implemented in any application. If you really want to insist on adding videos, do it just for desktop, or have an option to skip them on mobile. What the **bleep** were you guys thinking on this one? I have multiple friends that have the same issue and have decided to pursue other music apps. They have suggested Google's and Apple's music apps as superior replacements. Adios Spotify, it's been real.

Listening to music and watching a music video are not the same thing. The data used for these actions are quite different. If you want to provide video, allow your premium members the ability to toggle it off. It is very annoying and frustrating to feel that something is being forced on us, especially when weve made a choice to pay for the music service in the 1st place and it seems shady as fcuk.

UltralightBean

I gotta agree. Why not have an option to just not play the videos? Half the time it will play a video and then play the song right afterwards. When I'm driving I don't like messing with my phone I don't want to hear some dude talking or the same song twice in a row.

l4crosse

I agree with the other comments. I made an account just to comment here. Please allow us to disable video content.

1) volume isn't normalized

2) a song will play, then afterwards that same song's music video will play since they are in alphabetic order, so you hear the same song twice in a row

3) videos require more bandwidth which is another reason to allow disabling them. users shouldn't have to gamble on their data usage, but be able to estimate it in advance. 

4) often the video isn't even a music video. users only expect non-music content at the start or end of a playlist, not in the middle. 

I will end my subscription and switch to another service if this is not resolved. 

Ic3cold

I agree with all the above posters. Forcing videos in playlist was a bad move. If this is not resolved by soon I will switch services. 

cas_usc

I pay for ad free i dont want to hear whats coming next week while im driving around town. Remove these annoying videos. 

I also agree with everything said before. Please remove videos or just make an option for us to disable them

OferAb

If this isn't changed soon I'm bailing as well. I pay for premium services to avoid this kind of stuff. I should be able to hit play and forget it. Not deal with skipping and unlocking every 20 minutes. Might as well have ads.