Announcements

[Music] Option to disable Videos in curated Playlists

Videos are a great media, however they should not be included in curated playlists. It is distracting to listeners that drive with Spotify, or put it on in the background at work. Also, are these videos downloaded when users make a playlist available offline? If yes, this may take up too much space. If no, this will eat data without an option to avoid them.

Updated on 2021-07-13

Hey folks,

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this idea - We really appreciate it! 

This has been discussed internally multiple times now and while we would like to look into this, it's not currently on our radar.

That doesn't mean the door is completely closed, though. Even in a Closed state we'll still be tracking this idea and its votes.

Should anything change, we will make sure to post an update, but we also want to be transparent about what we are and what we aren't working on.

Thanks for understanding, and please keep those ideas and requests coming! Together we can make Spotify the best it can be.

Comments
MenyShpeyer

If Spotify really cared what users are thinking they would post these to social media

22ur52c23qxcoy

This is still a problem, at least with Podcasts. I can't believe after three years of attention this has not been worked on.

adina-listener

Spotify, stop forcing us to see the videos. We signed up for MUSIC. not Videos.

Not giving PAYING users an option to turn OFF video on any media/platform is a major UX problem and if this continues, I will be doing my 1 month of streaming a year somewhere else and I’ll take my whole family with me.

bmfsimpson

Can you please add this option. It has been 3 years, and now you guys got Joe Rogan exclusively and I just wish to listen to the podcasts, not watch it and eat up my laptops memory as I am using it for work.

davidxcarroll

Just here to add another log on the fire. This is a dark pattern. There's no way out. Short-sighted at least and malicious at most. Not just for playlists but any video in general, please make this stuff optional. If you're a Spotify rep reading this please make some noise about this, as a long time patron it's very disheartening.

darthpanfa
The way out is to cancel like I did. I use apple music now.
a-fky1ryid_6w

Canceld as well. Legitimate bunch of idiots at Spotify. Whichever exec decided this was a good idea needs to replaced - what a way to misread data and a demographic.

"Just download it and then switch to audio-only" - OR you idiots could just create an easier option to allow to play audio only... you know... like 90% of his listeners use to do before Spotify chased a chunk of them away with**bleep**.

Good riddance.

PaulMac

Nice post there that sums up very nicely Spotifies ability to drive away its own (paying) customers. I mean this is deeply unpopular feature that has an incredibly easy fix - just include a button to toggle videos on/off.

I'm guessing they see it as linked in some way to their future plans to broaden the service beyond audio so it's staying at any cost... 

zenraged

This is one of many new "features" that lead me to starting a 3 month trial of Apple Music. I'm very likely going to switch, even though I truly believe Spotify is a better service, they are ruining the user experience will these type of add-ons.

Xenia
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-07-13

Hey folks,

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this idea - We really appreciate it! 

This has been discussed internally multiple times now and while we would like to look into this, it's not currently on our radar.

That doesn't mean the door is completely closed, though. Even in a Closed state we'll still be tracking this idea and its votes.

Should anything change, we will make sure to post an update, but we also want to be transparent about what we are and what we aren't working on.

Thanks for understanding, and please keep those ideas and requests coming! Together we can make Spotify the best it can be.