[Music] View & Sort by BPM of a Track

Hi,

As a swing dancer, I'd really like to be able to easily sort songs by speed, or just to pick a song of an appropriate speed. Particularly when I'm in the middle of praciticing dancing with somebody, and we don't want to stop just to spend ages listening to each song in turn, and flipping through until finding a suitable one. That really breaks the flow!

Currently the best way I can do this is listen to everything, and group them into seperate playlists. But that takes forever! And it means I end up with millions of playlists.

I suggesting adding a column for BPM. This would also make DJs happy, I'm sure. Then you could sort by it, just like sorting by the other columns. It could be optionally hidden, if some people don't want to see it.

The BPM data could either come from beat-matching software server-side (I'm a computer programer; don't give me any excuses!), or you could let users enter it themselves and use the median value. Either way would work!

Hopefully,
Tom

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2019-02-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

P.S: More information about how the ideas exchange works can be found here.

Related Ideas

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

Ps. If you want to hire me, I'll move to Sweden and do it for you :)

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Also a general idea about more columns in Spotify to choose from is here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-more-columns-for-us-to-choose-from-in-Spotif...
mozltovcoktail

Yes please! This would be amazing. Right now I have some silly workarounds to find songs within a BPM range, and then I create a Spotify playlist of those songs. It would be KEY for runners and other athletic types to have this feature.

ellisp

Yes, Spotify could never be my main tool for music unless we have a space to save the BPM.

mbug90
Roadie

I want this, too!

mbug90
Roadie

bump

mbug90
Roadie

bump

mbug90
Roadie

bump

Gorillabeats

Please, please, please make a practical solution to categorize by BPM. Force artists to provide this info from the get-go ;) There is NO musicplayer for home consumers that have this as an automated category. Even though you can choose bpm in iTunes, the info isn't there. You have to manually drag every song into Mixmeister, then again manually insert the bpm in the info tag back in iTunes.

Preferably we should be able to override the bpm sorting with the regular moving songs up or down. If not, will have to make an additional playlist for manual tweaking. For example when I make playlists for workouts, I want a couple of slower songs 125-130 bpm at the start, then gradually building up to sweetspot 140-180 bpm to trick my body into working harder without noticing it.

I'm a spinning cycle fanatic. Keeping cadence and holding that 88% and above, I really need fast paced songs with drive and determination.

A friend of mine is a professional DJ and he has all his songs organized by BPM. It's the main qualifier of a song that will determine if he can easily beatmix it with another song. Of course he uses pro dj programs like Traktor etc do do this.

Being able to easily adjust songs by bpm would make all partylist makers and cardio crazies very happy, I think:)

prepinthecity

I am using spotify as a trial user right now, but any type of BPM feature would make me become a premium member for good! not only would this be great for dj's and dancers, but as a runner knowing the BPM of each song would be invaluable. I would be a loyal spotify customer forever if this feature were released, please seriously consider this! also it would open a whole new demo to market spotify to--fitness people and runners!